30-30 powder suggestions

USAF Ret

I am loading for a session tomorrow with 150 grain Sierra FN. I am planning on testing 2 powders. Lever is a given. However, I have 3 other powders in the stable. Would like to know any results for other reloaders on these and suggestions on which one to try first.

H-4895
IMR-4895
CFE-223

Thanks.

I am loading for a session tomorrow with 150 grain Sierra FN. I am planning on testing 2 powders. Lever is a given. However, I have 3 other powders in the stable. Would like to know any results for other reloaders on these and suggestions on which one to try first.

H-4895
IMR-4895
CFE-223

Thanks.
#1 CFE-223
#2 IMR-4895
#3 H-4895

This is from QuickLoad, but based on burn rates these would be my choices. YMMV. Always work up loads, etc etc.

My go-to for 30-30 has always been IMR 4320 but its discontinued now. If you can find an old burn rate chart, you can see it between RL-15 and H380.
Anything in that range should work great.

Don't overlook Winchester 748. I have been seeing it on shelves lately.

Here is the latest chart from Hodgdon.

I have had the best results with IMR 3031 in a 30-30 lever rifle. The 150 needs a fairly fast burning powder, so I would think that either IMR 4895 or H 4895 would be better than CFE 223.

#1 CFE-223
#2 IMR-4895
#3 H-4895

This is from QuickLoad, but based on burn rates these would be my choices. YMMV. Always work up loads, etc etc.

My go-to for 30-30 has always been IMR 4320 but its discontinued now. If you can find an old burn rate chart, you can see it between RL-15 and H380.
Anything in that range should work great.

Don't overlook Winchester 748. I have been seeing it on shelves lately.

Here is the latest chart from Hodgdon.
What about Ramshot Tac?

We shoot ALOT of winchester 748 in our 30-30’s. It seems to give the best accuracy out to 200 meters between varget, 3031, lever, and win748.

I decided to go with the H-4895. I have that and Leverevolution for tomorrow. I will be doing CFE223 and IMR4895 next weekend. Thanks all.

Well, results were not exactly great. On the LVR, one of the load listing says I can go to 38.5. The group was improving and I hear that LVR has the best groups toward the top end. I will test that and move on the CFE 223 and IMR-4895.

03172024 - LVR - H-4895.png

I've got 3 powders I use with my Mossy 464. The first two, W748 and H335 are for full power hunting loads with both 150 and 170grn bullets. I use them because I have them for other calibers, they're both ball powders so they meter well, and they work. Hodgdon's manual claims a whopping 2fps difference between them.

The 3rd powder is for my 2,000fps plinking loads. It's W760 and I use it because my son had an 8lb keg he got for a Win M70 in 30-06 which he now doesn't shoot anymore so, I had the powder and needed something to use it in. Surprisingly, it's pretty accurate even with the X-Treme plated 150grn FP plated plinking bullets I use.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect better than 1.25-1.5 MOA out of that rifle. It looks like your numbers are settling down with the LVR, I think you're on the right track bumping up the charge weight a little if you have room.

Some things you can do to help out your accuracy and consistency on lever actions-

Pull mag tube and forend. Drive out the mag tube stud and forend cap tenon. File/ sand the top sides of both until you have a snug slip fit in their dovetails.

With the mag tube still removed, set the forend in place on the barrel. If you have to push it into the correct position to fit the end cap on, identify where the pinch points are and relieve some wood. It should be an easy, but not loose fit.

Reassemble everything taking care to make sure the mag tube is centered. If you can, it can help to install a spacer either between the mag tube and mounting stud, or inside the mag tube cap to keep the mag tube from contacting the barrel.

The forend cap screws should be tight, but not so much that the cap is pinching the barrel. Around 20in/lb is plenty.

Rossi is bad for just jamming their sights and hangers into their dovetails. It puts a ton of stress into the barrel.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect better than 1.25-1.5 MOA out of that rifle. It looks like your numbers are settling down with the LVR, I think you're on the right track bumping up the charge weight a little if you have room.

Some things you can do to help out your accuracy and consistency on lever actions-

Pull mag tube and forend. Drive out the mag tube stud and forend cap tenon. File/ sand the top sides of both until you have a snug slip fit in their dovetails.

With the mag tube still removed, set the forend in place on the barrel. If you have to push it into the correct position to fit the end cap on, identify where the pinch points are and relieve some wood. It should be an easy, but not loose fit.

Reassemble everything taking care to make sure the mag tube is centered. If you can, it can help to install a spacer either between the mag tube and mounting stud, or inside the mag tube cap to keep the mag tube from contacting the barrel.

The forend cap screws should be tight, but not so much that the cap is pinching the barrel. Around 20in/lb is plenty.

Rossi is bad for just jamming their sights and hangers into their dovetails. It puts a ton of stress into the barrel.
The rifle shoots .5 MOA at 100 yards with factory ammunition.

PPU 150 Grain SP
PPU 150_MOA.jpg

Winchester 150 Power Point
Winchester Power Point 150 MOA.jpg

So, based on my groups with factory ammo, I had someone say just buy the factory ammo. Is it the reloader in me that wants to reproduce the same results with handloads? Should I just not waste components and buy 10 boxes of ammo and call it a day?

So, based on my groups with factory ammo, I had someone say just buy the factory ammo. Is it the reloader in me that wants to reproduce the same results with handloads? Should I just not waste components and buy 10 boxes of ammo and call it a day?
Depends. If the factory stuff does what you need it to, then use it. Me, I want to shoot a mono fast out of my 94. No factory ammo that does that. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back