30-06 reload quandry

Aaronmp

Alright folks if you could help I would appreciate it. A friend and I are reloading 30-06 rounds. 65 gr IMR 4350 with a Hornady 65 grain boattail. According to the specs it should be pushing 2700 fps but several rounds through the chronograph punched 2575. Using Winchester primers. All this info but we were wondering why the lower fps? Also his barrel is 2" shorter could that be the issue? We're new to the reloading but we are concentrating on hunting rounds and want to ensure we are loading correctly for ethical hunting without guesswork. Much appreciation in advance!!!

My pet load for 165 hornady boattails is 57 grains of Imr 4350 which gets me around 2800 fps.

65 grains would be a little full. You sure about those numbers?

I'm with others, I assume you mean a 165gr boattail? I don't see any 30-06 data that recommends 65grains of any powder. According to my book, 55grs of that powder would get you around 2700-2800. Double check your numbers and your scale.

That being said, I don't think that 125fps difference is all that much of a problem and certainly isn't going to make a difference regarding an ethical kill. Your shorter barrel I'm sure has some effect on that as well as other conditions and variables. Unless your replicating load data and conditions exactly I don't think you're always going to get the same exact numbers.

Alright folks if you could help I would appreciate it. A friend and I are reloading 30-06 rounds. 65 gr IMR 4350 with a Hornady 65 grain boattail. According to the specs it should be pushing 2700 fps but several rounds through the chronograph punched 2575. Using Winchester primers. All this info but we were wondering why the lower fps? Also his barrel is 2" shorter could that be the issue? We're new to the reloading but we are concentrating on hunting rounds and want to ensure we are loading correctly for ethical hunting without guesswork. Much appreciation in advance!!!

If this is your level of attention to detail, you may want to reconsider reloading.

65gr of 4350 is my max load for my 300wsm with 165s...

Assuming you are talking 55 gr. It may be the chrono or the gun. Do factory loads chrono low? Short barrel may account for some of it too. I have a tikka with a really long throat that I gennerally have to load on the slower end of powders to get the expected speed. Guns are all different thats what make reloading fun one second and pulling out hair the next....

Thanks for the assistance everyone. The round that my friend was reloading wasn't a 30-06 but a 300 win mag. We had been texting back and forth and I crossed info. My apologies. It is a 165 grain Boattail. Fat fingers on my iphone. Sorry about that. The chrono was good. I had mentioned that there might be a weight problem with the scale etc so we will check that out. Again thanks to the folks that were attempting to help by guessing around my typos.

That makes much more sense.

You should be getting over 3100 FPS w/ a 300 WM and a 165. Try a different powder like RL 19, RL 22 or 4831.

Last edited:
wow..... a bit over for a -06 I'd say.
Get a reload data book & don't mix up what you are doing.

Local reload range god (LOL) had loaded some light side rounds.
One of those know it all,tell me how to shoot even, guys I hate.
Blew the bolt right back in his face. Needless to say his custom home built is toast.
I had told him not to go to low or high on his rounds, he laughed me off.
He does look different and just says hi now.

Last edited:
I've had very good luck with RL 19 in both 30-06 & 338 WM. It's a little slower than 4350, but seems to like big cases stuffed full of powder and moderate weight bullets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back