MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

30-06 Brand recommendation

adeldarvish

Hello All,

After reading numerous threads here and elsewhere, I have finally decided to go with the 30-06 cartridge.

Reason - One of the most popular cartridge in USA; Widely available compared to other rounds; Reliable.

Being new to the Hunting Culture, this would be my first high caliber rifle and I hope it gets my first deer this year, if not, the next. I've shot other calibers before but never owned one.

I was hoping for some recommendations on what rifle brand(Bolt action) to look into? I've had my eyes on the Savage Arms as it is budget friendly off the shelf for a novice.

Appreciate all the help!

When I went down this path I ended with Howa. The relatively small price difference was worth it to me.

You would do fine with a savage assuming it fits you well. I'd suggest holding a few that you are interested in and picking the one that feels the best at your shoulder.

Good hunting!

Nothing wrong with a Savage as long as it’s not the axis. As recommended I’d go to a gun shop and handle a few brands and see what you like. Tikka, Howa, Remington all make great rifles.

Most well known brands make good, accurate rifles. I'd say head down to your local gun store and shoulder a few. See which one fits the best and go from there. I currently have Tikka, Remington and a Bergara and like them all. You can't really go wrong these days.

Tikka T3x, Browning Xbolt, Bergara, Howa 1500, Savage 110… any of these will do you well

Currently shooting a t/c venture 2 as my go to deer rifle. The most accurate out of the box rifle I’ve owned.

I really have come to like the Ruger 77 my FiL gave me, about 1990 vintage, wood stock.

I can remember not too long ago that if you claimed MOA accuracy folks would laugh at you. Today, with good glass, that seems to be achievable on lots of older rifles, as well as many right out of the box. I have been tempted by the Ruger American (one friend has one and likes it), tempted by a Howa because this Newberg fella shoots one, and have looked over many used ones. Just sticking with this 77 I have, since once I put a good scope on it I am shooting MOA, which is just fine by me.

Nothing wrong with a Savage rifle. I've never owned one that shot poorly and most shoot very good. Don't let anyone tell you that they are sub par.. I even have 2 Axis rifles that are unbelievably accurate. I have had a couple of Remington 700 rifles that were dogs. Funny thing was both were in 30-06. I also have a friend that has a Thompson Center Venture and it shoots lights out for a very good price point..

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my Savage 111 in 30-06. I bought it as my universal big game rifle and it fills that role beautifully

I would highly recommend the Remington 700. One of the best factory rifles in my opinion!

Being new to high power cartridges, i'd prefer to steer you towards a different cartridge.

Don't get me wrong, i love the '06. And there isn't much you can't do with it.

But being your first foray into this, i'd reccomend either a 308, or 7mm-08.

Both popular cartridges, both able to do what the '06 can do. But most importantly, less recoil.

Oh, and buy a Savage... :geek:

I'm partial to Tikka T3X and Remington 700s. If you're interested in going a little bit on the lighter side because you anticipate a lot of hiking, I'd go Tikka. If you're more of a stand hunter, R700.

I've long been fairly loyal to Remington, so it pains me to say this, but considering all the financial troubles in recent years and the changing of hands, it might be wise to avoid a new 700. Look for one with a few years on it. Also, you might look for a 700 SPS. Remington skimped on the stock for the SPS model to keep the price tag low, but besides that it's every bit a 700. I have 2 (a .270 and a 7mm-08) they are tack drivers and we've killed a pile of deer with them. I did change the stock on the 7-08, though. Another thing about the Rem 700 is there is every sort of after market upgrade you could ever want, if you wind up getting into tinkering with it.

Anyway, Tikka is a little more expensive and lighter, which some guys don't like, but I have 2 of those as well (.308 and another .270). They are also very accurate and reliable.

And 30-06 is a very good, all around cartridge for medium to big game. Can't go wrong there, but you will feel that recoil if you get a light-weight rifle like a T3X. I mention that because I'm personally a little recoil shy. My brother has a T3X in 300 Win Mag. That is the least fun rifle I have ever shot, but an -06 will kick a good bit less than that.

For a first rifle, either a good used Remington 700 or good used Ruger 77 would be my choices. There is a huge aftermarket for the Remington, so it is easy to upgrade whenever you wish. That is not the case for many of the others. The Ruger 77 is built like a tank. These rifles would give a lifetime of service, or be easy to sell or trade in later years.

I’ve had a Remington 700 for 5 years and have no complaints. My brother recently got a Browning x-bolt and he loves it. I won a Savage 110 in a gun raffle and haven’t got to mess with it then yet, but it feels good. If I had to get another one, it be an x-bolt, especially with Remington’s current situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back