30-06 Brand recommendation

Nothing wrong with a Savage as long as it’s not the axis. As recommended I’d go to a gun shop and handle a few brands and see what you like. Tikka, Howa, Remington all make great rifles.
Why not the Axis? My kids have all bought them as their first rifles and they are fine. As long as you find the right load for it, they shoot good. I know they aren't the best quality or smoothest actions, but in my opinion they make a good first rifle, especially for the price.

Why not the Axis? My kids have all bought them as their first rifles and they are fine. As long as you find the right load for it, they shoot good. I know they aren't the best quality or smoothest actions, but in my opinion they make a good first rifle, especially for the price.
They are a great gun for the price. Personally, I found that I would be wanting to upgrade that firearm a lot sooner than if I bought something up a level.

Here is my 2 cents.....

I own, and have been hunting with, a Savage 110 in 30-06 for about 8 years now. The rifle shoots accurately and has served me VERY well. I am good with the accu-trigger and it is a decent all around option. Recoil for an '06 without a brake is something to be aware of. Working in a gun store now and handling all of the major manufacturers bolt guns regularly I will say that Savage's actions are my least favorite. Until you get into their upper $$$ there simply is not the same fit, finish and smoothness of the others.

If budget is a major concern I would steer you more toward the Ruger American as a starting point. Bolts and triggers still aren't great at that level but a step up to me.

That being said, for a couple hundred more you can be in a Tikka or Bergara......both of which are very nice rifles. The differences between them to me are the EXCELLENT, easily adjustable trigger on the Tikka, the much shorter bolt throw on the Tikka and most of the Bergaras being a bit heavier. The Tikkas can be had for under $700 if you look around and are not guns you will be wanting to get rid of in a couple of years. For reference, I get discounts on all of the guns we sell and I recently purchased a Tikka Roughtech in 300 WM as I felt it hit the absolute sweet spot for value/accuracy/action in my opinion.

As for Remingtons.......I would suggest staying away from any of the new ones in stores(which are all new-old stock at this point as they are not currently manufacturing guns due to the whole bankruptcy/sale). Quality from Remington has been very spotty from them for at least the last decade. Hopefully with the reorganization the QC will return. We have been told to expect them to start manufacturing again around the first of the year.

It looks like you want to be budget friendly. If you go Savage skip the Axis and Axis 2 and go 110 or similar. I have a Winchester XPR in 30-06 and like it a lot. You can't go wrong with a Howa or a Howa named Weatherby (Vanguard). The Ruger American is also a decent rifle for the money. Tikka is always a great go to.

Get what feels good when you hold it. Save some money for good glass!

Good luck!

Hard to go wrong anywhere. I have a Mossberg 4x4(now patriot) chambered in 30-06. It is awesome, and cheap. I am very pleased with this gun. Was also very cheap.

I have had savage axis, ruger american, Howa, and Remington ADL. All are great shooters with the right ammo and sub $500. My axis 25-06 shoots sub MOA, My .308 ruger american shoots sub MOA, Howa 30-06 shoots sub MOA, and .300 win mag ADL shoots sub MOA. Don't be coerced into buying a more expensive rifle than what you need. You're just starting out and don't even know if you're going to want to do this the rest of your life. More money isn't always more outcome.

In the same price range of the Axis I would buy a Ruger American or even a TC venture. The Axis has a rough action, heavy bolt lift, very cheap trigger and just isn’t what I personally like in a rifle.
I would much rather either save up a few more dollars and buy a Howa, tikka, Rem 700, M70. Or any of those in a used rifle should fit the bill also.

In the same price range of the Axis I would buy a Ruger American or even a TC venture. The Axis has a rough action, heavy bolt lift, very cheap trigger and just isn’t what I personally like in a rifle.
I would much rather either save up a few more dollars and buy a Howa, tikka, Rem 700, M70. Or any of those in a used rifle should fit the bill also.
I won't argue about the Tikka, that's what I'm saving my pennies up for. But every animal my boys have shot with their Axis' were just as dead as if they were shot with another rifle. And they have done good filling the freezer.

I have a Savage. It's been my go to for a good while. My favorite round for all around hunting is the .06.

If I was to buy again?

Weatherby Vanguard

or Tikka.

Meh, my two average joe cents worth.

Best to yo and your choice.

My first choice would be a Tikka followed by Browning or Weatherby. If it needs to be as affordable as possible then a Ruger American probably.

OP learned some new things here, just doesn't know what the mean probably! What's a rough action? Probably some one would have to tell him if he bough one. How about a heavy bolt lift? What make's anyone think he'd notice that on his first rifle! Cheap trigger, doubt he'd notice it. Come on, it's his first rifle for crying out loud! And to qualify all that, "just isn't what I personally like in a rifle". Sum it up a lot sooner, cahunter simply doesn't like the axis rifle! Don't suppose his review is tainted a bit by that?

Best first rifle, it don't exist. Find a rifle you like the looks and feel of in the price range you want and go for it! Then you decided for yourself what you like and don't like.

Cheap trigger, shoot all my 700's have walker triggers in them, that's what came in them and we could call them factory triggers. All are set to release at 3# and have never had a problem. Not bad for 30 yrs with 700's! I've got two newer Mossberg Patriots with wood stocks. They will out shoot most other factory rifles with the right handloads. Not a clue what they'd do with factory ammo. Likely simply just kill things! Never owned a Savage. No particular reason why just never have. have a Win Mod 70 Ftr wt and actually more than I wanted to spend but very nice rifle! have a custom 1903 Springfield. Has the military trigger in it but was worked over by the gunsmith that did it, best trigger I ever used!

What a discussion like this does is pretty much let's you know what people's favorite rifles are. The best rifle for the OP is the one he goes and handles and likes! He goes and handles an axis and likes it but walks away and he's never gonna know what the truth may or may not be based on an opinion by someone that admits to not liking the rifle in the first place.

Had a brother in law years ago that swore by his Mossberg 800! As far as he was concerned there wasn't a better rifle made! Used to love him sit and listen to him tell and tell all that would listen just how great it was. Funny thing about that, he really believed what he had to say about it and had years of experience with it to back it up. Who am I to say he's wrong? Oh yea, it was the only center fire rifle he'd ever owned!

OP learned some new things here, just doesn't know what the mean probably! What's a rough action? Probably some one would have to tell him if he bough one. How about a heavy bolt lift? What make's anyone think he'd notice that on his first rifle! Cheap trigger, doubt he'd notice it. Come on, it's his first rifle for crying out loud! And to qualify all that, "just isn't what I personally like in a rifle". Sum it up a lot sooner, cahunter simply doesn't like the axis rifle! Don't suppose his review is tainted a bit by that?

Best first rifle, it don't exist. Find a rifle you like the looks and feel of in the price range you want and go for it! Then you decided for yourself what you like and don't like.

Cheap trigger, shoot all my 700's have walker triggers in them, that's what came in them and we could call them factory triggers. All are set to release at 3# and have never had a problem. Not bad for 30 yrs with 700's! I've got two newer Mossberg Patriots with wood stocks. They will out shoot most other factory rifles with the right handloads. Not a clue what they'd do with factory ammo. Likely simply just kill things! Never owned a Savage. No particular reason why just never have. have a Win Mod 70 Ftr wt and actually more than I wanted to spend but very nice rifle! have a custom 1903 Springfield. Has the military trigger in it but was worked over by the gunsmith that did it, best trigger I ever used!

What a discussion like this does is pretty much let's you know what people's favorite rifles are. The best rifle for the OP is the one he goes and handles and likes! He goes and handles an axis and likes it but walks away and he's never gonna know what the truth may or may not be based on an opinion by someone that admits to not liking the rifle in the first place.

Had a brother in law years ago that swore by his Mossberg 800! As far as he was concerned there wasn't a better rifle made! Used to love him sit and listen to him tell and tell all that would listen just how great it was. Funny thing about that, he really believed what he had to say about it and had years of experience with it to back it up. Who am I to say he's wrong? Oh yea, it was the only center fire rifle he'd ever owned!

To each their own. The OP never even stated a budget for his first rifle! Ever heard of buy once cry once? For me personally I buy the best gear I can afford even if it’s a first rifle. I still have my first rifle I bought myself also. Won’t ever sell it.

Hi
Like to add my two cents..Styer 30.06
I have not owned one or shot one that wasn’t accurate..(very accurate)

scope... many choices..

2nd choice Savage 110
3rd Howa..

Great choice of caliber..👍

A lightweight 30-06 shooting 180gr + loads can be a handful to shoot much.
I like the rifles with a little extra weight.
Highly recommend the Howa.

Never thought of the 06 as a hard kicker. mtmuley
For someone new into it, it can be.
We can't all shoot RUMs.

There's an idea.....
6.5 MtMuley.
300 RUM necked to 6.5mm
Lets you seat those long, heavy match bullets out of the powder column.
Send a Manbun screaming like a little girl... :ROFLMAO:

For someone new into it, it can be.
We can't all shoot RUMs.

There's an idea.....
6.5 MtMuley.
300 RUM necked to 6.5mm
Lets you seat those long, heavy match bullets out of the powder column.
Send a Manbun screaming like a little girl... :ROFLMAO:
RUM has nothing to do with it. And I have a buddy that necked the RUM case to 6.5 a long time ago. mtmuley

I have 1 high power rifle, axis 2 in 6.5 cm. The stock is junk and I made numerous modifications to make it serviceable. It is accurate with factory ammo. The LE discount from savage made an already affordable rifle even cheaper. I used to shoot a Remington Gamemaster 760 pump rifle in .06. I found the recoil to be just a bit too much.

I am a fan of savage actions. I'd recommend spending extra to get a good stock though.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back