30-06 Brand recommendation

My father in law's Older Remington 700 is still a great shooter and my favorite rifle. Heavy, sturdy, and a helluva rifle. There are still a ton of older ones out there for sale. I wouldn't take it out in the rain though. I'd be afraid to ruin it, but from the looks of it, this gun was made to be used and take abuse. The Bolt has no play and slides like a dream. My mossberg.....It took awhile to dial in, only likes high dollar ammo if you want it to shoot straight, and the cerakote is trash. If that's what it is. It was my first 30-06 so I won't get rid of it, but it's finicky. I'm of the opinion that older is better.

I’m a Browning and Remington guy myself. I’d definitely check out the X Bolt and the advice about the older Remington 700’s that @Westxhunter gave you is dead on. I’d steer clear of new Remington’s but those older ones are great guns. I’d like to have a 80’s model 700 BDL in 30.06 myself.

Weatherby Vanguard 30.06! Was the only hunting rifle I had for the last 16 seasons, always on the mark. At the price they are at, I think it's hard to beat. Plus Vanguard rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) from a cold barrel.

Savage are good enough for low volume shooting. If you run them hard and at volume the parts they took from boxes to assemble the action will wear and start fighting each other. So, if you're going to shoot it just enough to hunt and do your practice with something else, then a Savage is just fine.

The rifles promoted by this forum are better candidates if you intend to shoot a lot. Not sure how much you'll run a lighter hunting weight 30/06 tho.

If you intend to have just the one and shoot a bunch, go a little heavier than is currently popular and look at a Sauer, Sako, etc. Tikka might be worth a gamble but I haven't tried it.

Hello All,

After reading numerous threads here and elsewhere, I have finally decided to go with the 30-06 cartridge.

Reason - One of the most popular cartridge in USA; Widely available compared to other rounds; Reliable.

Being new to the Hunting Culture, this would be my first high caliber rifle and I hope it gets my first deer this year, if not, the next. I've shot other calibers before but never owned one.

I was hoping for some recommendations on what rifle brand(Bolt action) to look into? I've had my eyes on the Savage Arms as it is budget friendly off the shelf for a novice.

Appreciate all the help!
I went through this exercise a couple of years ago. I'm a lefty so that factored into my decision. After a lot of research I ended up with a Tikka T3x. First day on the range out of the box it shot with ok ammo 1MOA. Love the rifle, the action and trigger are first rate.

Savage are good enough for low volume shooting. If you run them hard and at volume the parts they took from boxes to assemble the action will wear and start fighting each other. So, if you're going to shoot it just enough to hunt and do your practice with something else, then a Savage is just fine.

The rifles promoted by this forum are better candidates if you intend to shoot a lot. Not sure how much you'll run a lighter hunting weight 30/06 tho.

If you intend to have just the one and shoot a bunch, go a little heavier than is currently popular and look at a Sauer, Sako, etc. Tikka might be worth a gamble but I haven't tried it.
I'm not sure what you mean by that with the Savage rifles. I have a couple that have spent some serious time trying to get worn out by young shooters. Never experienced anything like what you are talking about. However I am overbearing when it comes to taking care of your equipment.. Lube and cleaning are expected..

I'm betting that most Savage rifles being used by average sportsmen will outlast several users if properly maintained..

I'm not sure what you mean by that with the Savage rifles. I have a couple that have spent some serious time trying to get worn out by young shooters. Never experienced anything like what you are talking about. However I am overbearing when it comes to taking care of your equipment.. Lube and cleaning are expected..

I'm betting that most Savage rifles being used by average sportsmen will outlast several users if properly maintained..
I can explain it over again, but it won't change your opinion on what you have personally seen given your willingness to bother with a rifle. What I have personally seen with several is they get clunky and have occasional feeding problems. They still work, just not as well. You don't have to tell me about the need for lubing the blame things.

The reason is Savages aren't made to fit together exactly. They get all the different parts in and see which ones of each fit together well enough. That's the reason the action is made the way it is. Much cheaper to make some parts with looser tolerances. The floating bolt head, for instance, is an application of a common manufacturing technique to rifles in order to make them cheaper to produce. You make one part real well. Savage makes good barrels. You make another part loose so it mates up without hand fitting. That floating bolt head is famous. Clearly this works short term as is often seen with tight groups printed by Savages.

You can tune one up to run well longer. A Savage that has been cleaned up, by machining not scrubbing, is almost like another rifle. But it won't outlast rifles made with better metal and designs that have less going on.

Go with what's most comfortable for you both physically and financially. I've always been someone who hunts within their budget. Practice, comfort, and experience are top of my list. Winchester 30-06 has dropped numerous whitetail where they stand. Same goes for my "purchased used" Ruger .270. Plus cheaper rifle leaves more room for optics.

I think it really depends on your price point @adeldarvish
There are a lot of great guns out there.
MeatEater Weather Vanguard
Tikka T3
Bergara B14 Hunter
Browning, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Howa.

What is your price range? And more importantly what are you thinking for your scope?

Tikka would be an excellent choice. Very lightweight and known shooters. Bergaras are nice, shoot good and have better stocks but are heavy. If you’re looking at lower price point Ruger Americans aren’t bad.

Hello All,

After reading numerous threads here and elsewhere, I have finally decided to go with the 30-06 cartridge.

Reason - One of the most popular cartridge in USA; Widely available compared to other rounds; Reliable.

Being new to the Hunting Culture, this would be my first high caliber rifle and I hope it gets my first deer this year, if not, the next. I've shot other calibers before but never owned one.

I was hoping for some recommendations on what rifle brand(Bolt action) to look into? I've had my eyes on the Savage Arms as it is budget friendly off the shelf for a novice.

Appreciate all the help!
I would recommend the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed 30.06. Bolt action. I put a Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44 scope with BDC reticle on it and love it.

Back