PEAX Equipment

3 first timers day-by-day

Thanks all for the camp advice. We had ended up moving camp from that picture. Still in the draw but where things were a little drier. Rainy and foggy this morning but we had a buck just outside the camp. I blew the shot. Sick to my stomach but I'm glad for the opportunity and glad for a clean miss. We are now heading to some other areas. Looks like a foggy day, but we will make do.

After that we hit the road and found a single doe. Couldn't make a stalk on her. Later, we found a group of 8. Made a good stalk, they were bedded about 300 away from us. We had one more hill we could use to get closer. Then a couple trucks came up by the road and the guys got out to glass the antelope. The antelope booked it.

We did talk to a game warden on the way out. We pointed out a private road sign and he called up the ladder; turns out someone may have moved the road closed sign this morning. That's pretty aggravating if that's what happened. We parked short of the private road sign on what we knew was county, there were tons of trucks driving by us on the private road though.

We are thoroughly soaked. Just went to town for lunch and coffee. Now heading to camp to swap wet clothes for dry. Looks like we may see the sun tomorrow.

Bummed that we haven't put meat on the ground but really enjoying the hunt so far. Hopefully this evening we have some camp meat.

Stick with it; it'll happen. If your experience is like mine last year, you'll go long periods of time without any opportunities and then have a couple good shots really close in time.

I’m really enjoying this thread. Keep your chin up and keep posting... I’m living vicariously through you

This is what it's all about right here. 3 dudes not really knowing what they're doing but making due with what they have and know! I wish you guys a great hunt. It looks like you guys are figuring things out and doing just fine!

Well we gave it the full send tonight. 1 mile back we saw a big group. Used a big draw to stalk up. Ended up stalking another mile. When we came out of the draw, we saw two that were separate from the group. We slipped out of sight and moved side hill to get closer. Then the group saw us and it was all over. They booked it out of there so fast it was crazy. We probably could have set up and they would have walked around to us, but we couldn't see them until it was too late.

All told, we walked just shy of 12 miles today. May sleep in a little tomorrow. Definitely going to double up on ramen and sandwiches. Looks like the weather has mostly moved out, tomorrow we should be able to start drying out.

Looking forward to getting back after it.

We did get into them today. I missed two more shots. Super frustrated right now. I'm going to reconfirm zero this evening and get my mind right before hunting tomorrow. I'm also going to play camp chef because WE HAVE ANTELOPE MEAT! A buddy filled his type 6 after I missed the second shot. So now that we jumped that hurdle, hopefully I can get everything straightened out and put one down.

I did end up confirming yesterday that my scope was off. Not sure how that happened but it was way left. I got it rezeroed and now we are back at it this morning. Camp last night was cold. Wind was howling and temps dropped to mid 20s. Currently watching some antelope that are a long ways off but moving towards us. If they get in a good spot, we will make a play on them. Planning on being in the field till we cant go anymore as this is the last day we have.

Awesome thread. I'm headed out that way in 2 weeks, so I've been watching the weather, and I'm starting to think winter will be in full swing. Which sounds like a fun adventure. Good luck, and thanks for sharing.

Well, I notched my tag today. Definitely not a giant, but after the work we've put in this week I'm happy. Actually thought it was a doe at first because I couldn't see his cheek. Walked almost on a beeline toward where we were just set up glassing. Right through the brisket. He tipped over right there. So thankful to actually connect on an antelope.

We ended up deciding to pack up camp this afternoon and are already on our way back. We had a ton of fun and learned lots of lessons. The next time we come back, we will know what to expect. Looking forward to when that may be.

Tomorrow I will try to post some pics of the whole journey.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back