.284 Barnes TSX, 120 gr question

Gunner46

Give me a field performance report. Thinking it's a good Prong/Whitetail/Mulie out of my 7mm/08.

What do you gain by going with a light bullet? You gain velocity at close range but loose it as well as energy at long range because the ballistic coeficient sucks. I wouldn't go with anythign less than 140 in 7mm. I've pretty partial to the 140 and 160 accubonds in 7mm for all big game applications.

There is buzz on several forums about the TSX bullets. The general consensus is this: if you're using a small caliber for your game size, you can benefit from their penetration. But be ready to track an animal quite a ways. Unless you are pushing the envelope on game size/cartridge, TSXs can cause you more problems than they fix. I'd scrap it if you're talking 7mm bullets on deer and proghorn.

Go with the 140gr triple shocks out of the 7mm-08. I've shot alot of game with them and they punch a quater sized hole through everything, and hold together no matter what. If your looking to drop an animal in its tracks shoot a ballistic tip, but fragmentation has been a huge problem for me. The triple shocks have awsome penetration and the accuracy is great. If you shoot them in the right place you won't have a long tracking job. I know that other bullets will work, but in my opinion triple shocks are some of the best.

There is buzz on several forums about the TSX bullets. The general consensus is this: if you're using a small caliber for your game size, you can benefit from their penetration. But be ready to track an animal quite a ways. Unless you are pushing the envelope on game size/cartridge, TSXs can cause you more problems than they fix. I'd scrap it if you're talking 7mm bullets on deer and proghorn.

Of course experience isn't really needed to make up ones mind. Half the clowns that opine on such things have never even shot one.

I've used nothing but 150 gr Ballistic Tips for Oh sooooo many years, in both the 7/08 and my 7MM Mag. No issues with them what so ever. Scoreboard is in the dozens.

I was looking more for a way to gain some speed and still have penetration. Deer & 'Lopes are not that hard to put down. Accuracy and placement are more important.

I have some test loads, just waiting to get to a range,

Field performance is what I am looking for.

I'm sure they'd work! However, if for deer/pronghorn I'd just as soon load up a 120gr Ballistic Tip! Cross sectioned bullets show it to be built a bit tougher than the 140. Lots of good reports of full penetration with in on deer class game.

Of course experience isn't really needed to make up ones mind. Half the clowns that opine on such things have never even shot one.

Who said anyone's mind was made up? I, for one, have shot and killed animals with a TSX. I will do so in the future. On the other hand, I will be more careful as to when I use them. And BTW, those "clowns" include some of the gunwriters on other forums. They have much more experience than you or I do in these matters. The actual clowns are the ones who base a bullet's performance off of a handful of shots.

If it doesn't have lead in it I'd never gamble with it. There are way more good reasons 99.9% of all bullets along with the best performing bullets contain dense materials (ie lead).

If it doesn't have lead in it I'd never gamble with it. There are way more good reasons 99.9% of all bullets along with the best performing bullets contain dense materials (ie lead).

Spoken like someone who has ZERO experience with a Barnes product or a monolithic bullet.

This is the classic penetration vs. expansion argument, however TSXs represent the absolute extreme penetration end (unless you include dangerous game bullets). The argument used to revolve around lead bullets entirely, but now all-copper bullets make it even more interesting.

The fact of the matter is, the more weight a bullet loses, the faster it kills (assuming it was an appropriate selection in the first place). Lead core bullets lose weight...copper ones usually don't. Therefore, with two identically placed shots, it is likely you will do less tracking with a softer lead core bullet. (And if you make poor hit, it is more likely to be lethal sooner).

When shooting a 7mm for deer and antelope, as the OP asked about, there is absolutely no need to shoot a copper bullet. Show me the buck that requires that kind of a bullet! There is a thing as bullets made too tough, ya know.

I see you've read Barsness and ran with it (he is still a fan of Barnes, btw). Go to the Africa forum on the "other site"and read some JJHACK. I'll say it again, most people with the loudest opinions have never even used them.

After around 40 head of big game killed by myself and others, I take the "take longer to kill" FWIW, and that is a minority's opinion. Just because a scribe of a gun rag thinks so, dont make it so, I've argued with Barsness about his opinion on more than one occasion, I've came to the belief the man has too many company's to please to be a champion of a single product, such things go unnoticed by many.

Last edited:
I use Barnes. Tried the old ones before the triple shocks and couldn't achieve the velocity, due to pressure. I retried the Triple shock bullets and after shooting a couple of elk, and having had great success, I'll keep using them for now. All bullets will fail if presented with enough situations. They do group better than any other bullet I've tried. I like the Barnes bullet for other reasons,and the fact I consume all my game, not having to worry about lead fragments is a relief. Ever have a x-ray of your colon? If you've eaten much wild game you'll have lots of specs in the picture.

I see you've read Barsness and ran with it (he is still a fan of Barnes, btw). Go to the Africa forum on the "other site"and read some JJHACK. I'll say it again, most people with the loudest opinions have never even used them.

After around 40 head of big game killed by myself and others, I take the "take longer to kill" FWIW, and that is a minority's opinion. Just because a scribe of a gun rag thinks so, dont make it so, I've argued with Barsness about his opinion on more than one occasion, I've came to the belief the man has too many company's to please to be a champion of a single product, such things go unnoticed by many.

And I'll say it again, I shoot them in two rifles and will continue to do so. There is no perfect bullet. When the Barnes are ideal, I shoot them and things have worked out well for me so far. So I'm not sure who you're referring to when you talk of those not using them. I'm not a huge advocate of any particular bullet or design and I don't strongly dislike any particular bullet or design.

Barsness claims to have witnessed 150 kills with Barnes bullets. I've always thought Barsness' approach to what works was very balanced and rational.

But back to the subject. The fact of the matter is, there is no real good reason to shoot them in regards to the OP. For a 7mm on deer-sized game, a Barnes offers no huge advantages and a few disadvantages. I will say it again, there is such a thing as too tough of a bullet.

Last edited:
I think I read that JJ doesn't recomend the light 230gr TSX in his 375 because they tumble...

I think he preferes 270's over 300's as well in the 375.

Belly-deep, FWIW, I dont believe in stepping down in weight, for the most part anyway., I still like 180's in 30 cal, 160's in 7mm. But I dont shoot a 708, if i did I may give the 120's a try, I dont look at the 708 as a LR prospect for hunting, so gained speed would make up for lack of BC at hunting ranges...just me thinkin out loud.

I only use Barnes in a few rifles, Various Noslers still make up the bulk of what I hunt with. Its just that I have never seen so much controversy over a bullet, normally by those that have never used one (not meaning you).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back