Federal Premium 200gr Terminal Ascents 300WM - Can anyone give me a review?

SCliving Outdoors

Im looking at switching ammo bc I think Federal Premium has stopped loading the 180gr AB. I've been looking at the 200gr Terminal Ascent for a few years and most of what I have read/seen about them has been good. Can any folks give me a real world in the field review of how they perform on animals? If anyone can give me a review could you include the distance the shot was?

My buddy gave me a few to try out and they group well with my rifle.

TIA

Killed black bear at about 30 yards with them this year. Passed through as one would expect, bear died quickly. I’ve also taken a couple of whitetails, ranges from 40 yards to 225. I’ve never recovered a bullet as they’ve always exited. They group very well out of my Ruger M77. I’ve also had luck with the 175s in my 30.06. I know a couple of other guys that shoot them and they’ve had nothing but good things to say about them as well.

My hunting partner shoots these out of a seekins ph2 300 win mag. First year with the rifle and it was a toss up between these and the eldx. They shot very similar but I have ran the federal ta in 7 mm for the last three years with great success. He got an antelope at 530 yards. Two shots perfect behind the crease. It didn't need the second shot but we like to shoot till it's down. Both exited without too much damage. Just ruined some rib meat. Next up was a deer at 220 yards. Shot was high shoulder quartering too, at a steep downwards angle. Bullet again exited without hitting off side shoulde. Minimal meat loss again. Last was an elk at 580 yards. Cross canyon shot with winds gusting to 40 mph. Misjudged the wind call and hit him middle of body in the spine. Dropped bull instantly but didn't kill him. He sent two more till he stopped moving. He would of died again with the first shot but he was in a nasty area and didn't want him getting out of sight. The first shot wrecked some backstraps and one tenderlion. Next 2 shots hit heart and lung. Just ruined ribs again. All three shots complete pass through. I have shot probably 10 animals with my 7mm and never found a bullet yet. They seem to me to strike a balance of not too explosive at short range, I shot my bull at 70 yards behind the shoulder and lost no meat this year, to reliably expand at some further distance. The elk at 580 was the furthest shot so far though. I wouldn't hesitate to shot further if I was more skilled

I’ve shot 5 MD, 3 bulls, and 4 cows with the 7mm 155 grain version of that bullet and every one performed flawlessly. Most of the shots were 300-450 yards, a few were under 200. I worked for Vista Outdoor when they designed this bullet and have very high confidence in it based on the engineering and testing that went into it. I have 200 rnds of the 200 gr. 300 win mag sitting in my safe to pair with my 300 win mag once I get a scope on it. If they group well in your rifle I wouldn’t hesitate using that bullet. I think there are a bunch of reviews and videos on the bullet. I think meat eater did a pretty good review on it as well.

A friend uses them in a Browning A-Bolt I sold him. It shoots them well and I've found they were a touch faster than the box suggested. He's not much of a hunter but takes it for a walk sometimes and has killed 2-3 deer with it. They seem to be very tough. He likes them

similar to comments above. Small sample size but great performance on 2 cow elk (400 and 460yds). I view them as about the most versatile big game bullet made. In my 300win mag they are 80fps faster than published, so be sure to chronograph if you are doing any longer range shooting.

I’ve shot 5 MD, 3 bulls, and 4 cows with the 7mm 155 grain version of that bullet and every one performed flawlessly. Most of the shots were 300-450 yards, a few were under 200. I worked for Vista Outdoor when they designed this bullet and have very high confidence in it based on the engineering and testing that went into it. I have 200 rnds of the 200 gr. 300 win mag sitting in my safe to pair with my 300 win mag once I get a scope on it. If they group well in your rifle I wouldn’t hesitate using that bullet. I think there are a bunch of reviews and videos on the bullet. I think meat eater did a pretty good review on it as well.
Is Federal ever going to release it to those of us afflicted with a handloading addiction?

I just noticed they’re all out of stock, I’m not sure if they plan to sell them or are just using them all in finished bullets right now. I know the finished bullets go out of stock quickly so it is likely a capacity issue.

My hunting partner shoots these out of a seekins ph2 300 win mag. First year with the rifle and it was a toss up between these and the eldx. They shot very similar but I have ran the federal ta in 7 mm for the last three years with great success. He got an antelope at 530 yards. Two shots perfect behind the crease. It didn't need the second shot but we like to shoot till it's down. Both exited without too much damage. Just ruined some rib meat. Next up was a deer at 220 yards. Shot was high shoulder quartering too, at a steep downwards angle. Bullet again exited without hitting off side shoulde. Minimal meat loss again. Last was an elk at 580 yards. Cross canyon shot with winds gusting to 40 mph. Misjudged the wind call and hit him middle of body in the spine. Dropped bull instantly but didn't kill him. He sent two more till he stopped moving. He would of died again with the first shot but he was in a nasty area and didn't want him getting out of sight. The first shot wrecked some backstraps and one tenderlion. Next 2 shots hit heart and lung. Just ruined ribs again. All three shots complete pass through. I have shot probably 10 animals with my 7mm and never found a bullet yet. They seem to me to strike a balance of not too explosive at short range, I shot my bull at 70 yards behind the shoulder and lost no meat this year, to reliably expand at some further distance. The elk at 580 was the furthest shot so far though. I wouldn't hesitate to shot further if I was more s
The terminal Ascents held a much better group than the eldx. I was hitting clay pigeons at 430 yards first day I had the seekins out at the range. the rifle does have a 1/10 twist, which for a 200 grain bullet is just right.

We spend a lot of time at the range in the off season, with a few different rifles. Sometimes you can't get closer and need to make the most out of the situation you are given. 580yrds is definitely my best shot on an animal. But a nine mile pack out is no joke.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back