28 hr. Drive to hunt

jayce5274

Myself, my brother Mark, and my co- worker Job drove 28 hrs from Palo Pinto County Texas to northwest Montana, Libby area. None of us have ever been bear hunting before and thought we would give it a try. We started planning this hunt around X-mas time. With no clue of what we were doing we relied on a local Warden to stear us in the right direction. On Friday 5-18-2012, we were told by a local Warden to find a lock gate and start glassing clearcuts but that is all he could really tell us. Around 6:30 am, we went north of Libby way off the main road and as we we were driving in we were met by some local bear hunters, they advised the bears were down low. Well with us being rookies and hard headed we decided not to listen to the locals and went up to the snow line. We found a locked a locked gate and set up camp, in Hammock Tents. Around 8:30 am, we packed our back packs and headed out. We went in about 3 miles in when our hearts stopped when a moose was spotted down on road below us (we dont have moose in Texas) and after regrouping from that we treked on. Shortly after that Job said "bear" we all scrammbled for a possision on the bear, Mark started the video camera, I ranged the bear and we watched the bear for about 5 minutes and could not spot any cubs and made sure it was a color phased black bear not the other type bear. We finally gave Job the go ahead and right before he pulled the trigger the bear rose up on its back legs probably smelling us but Whammm the bear took it in the chest. We made our way down to find a nice color phased sow that was dry. After packing it out, about 4 hours later we were back at camp. During all the excitement i realized i forgot my pack back where Job took the shot. So around 4:00 pm. we went back to get my pack, and as we approached my pack we decided to go on the upper road from where Job shot his bear because the grass growing in the logging road just looked good to us. Approximatley 200 yards in we came across another color phased bear sleeping in the road. We watched the bear role over, scratch, and go back to sleep. This time it was go time for me, Whammm and it was all over. We packed my bear out and went to sleep. On Saturday we met with the Warden and NFS guy because we couldnt get ahold of a biologist to check the bears in. They could not believe what they saw. NFS guy said we were the luckiest SOB's he had ever met, #1 we drove 28 hrs. #2 no guide, #3 two bears in one day, #4 no idea what we where doing, #5 just found a locked gate on a map, #6 just a few dope cops from Texas came up here and got it done on an Own your own Adventure, not knowing anything about bears. Job's skull measured 16.5 and mine 18. What a hunt and thanks to all the posts yall left to lead us in the right direction. And yes "Yall".

Last edited:
SAM_0009.jpg

SAM_0006.jpg

multipictures515.jpg

Good job. Sounds like a trip I made back when I was in college from Lubbock to Libby.

I got a bear that year too, although not quite as big as the ones you guys shot. Getting off the beaten path on those old logging roads seems like the way to go for bears in that area.

Stealth and guile ....gets the job done every time.;)

Congrats and welcome, stick around, these guys love Texans.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back