Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

27 NR Points for CO Elk...Which Rifle Hunt?

Rhino Hunter

I'll have 27 NR Points for CO Elk after the points are awarded this year. What rifle hunt would you choose if you were me?

The one I'd researched for 27 years. ;)

Unit 2, 10 or 201 ... you'll get good arguments for any of them.

I hear they're all good units. But believe it or not...I don't think I can draw with "only" 27 NR points. :(

I hear they're all good units. But believe it or not...I don't think I can draw with "only" 27 NR points. :(

Yeah, I see the problem now. You're right on the bubble. Last year there were 58 ahead of you, of which 10 drew. At that rate you're still not eligible for another 5 years, and then its a 1/10 random chance, assuming everyone is applying, between everyone at your level.

EE061E1R is quickly reaching your point level, too.

Amazing that you stuck in there this long without burning them. You sir are a patient man.

Or a fool!

When I started this chase it only took 7 NR points. But they've changed the formula about 3 times since. AND..one year I missed the deadline when they move the app date up by about a month. I just left the envelope unopened for a few weeks. When I finally got around to opening it the app date had already passed!!! That one still smarts when I think about it. :mad: Damn it!

Yeah, I see the problem now. You're right on the bubble. Last year there were 58 ahead of you, of which 10 drew. At that rate you're still not eligible for another 5 years, and then its a 1/10 random chance, assuming everyone is applying, between everyone at your level.

EE061E1R is quickly reaching your point level, too.

Yes...you now see my dilemma.

Is 61 really that good of a unit? How about 76 also?

I hear ya, I just got out here and I'm already :mad: about this system.

Or a fool!

When I started this chase it only took 7 NR points. But they've changed the formula about 3 times since. AND..one year I missed the deadline when they move the app date up by about a month. I just left the envelope unopened for a few weeks. When I finally got around to opening it the app date had already passed!!! That one still smarts when I think about it. :mad: Damn it!

The caliber of bulls in unit 61 is probably right up there. Some will say not even close. The terrain is a lot more difficult. Check out Randy's video.
Edit: Unit 61 is shooting up because there are a lot of people in your shoes wondering where they can actually hunt instead of chase tags.

I think unit 76 would be a disappointment after waiting 30 years, but the scenery is incredible.

I'd do guaranteed draw 9 pt hunts for the next three years. A hunt is an experience, not a location. So go experience it.

No kidding... well that sucks. Sorry for the bad advice, and sorry to all you CO hunters with points.

I used to hate the NM system where after failing to draw for years you had nothing to show for it. Now that i'm getting an education on other states ours doesn't look so bad...

Have you ever thought about hunting with a muzzleloader? You have plenty of time to get everything dialed in and practice a bunch. The muzzleloader hunt in 201 would be an awesome experience. My dad hunted it this past year for cows. He had more than one nice bull within muzzleloader range. That’s what I’d do if I were you. Only 9 other bull tag holders in the entire unit with you!

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about hunting with a muzzleloader? You have plenty of time to get everything dialed in and practice a bunch. The muzzleloader hunt in 201 would be an awesome experience. My dad hunted it this past year for cows. He had more than one nice bull within muzzleloader range. That’s what I’d do if I were you. Only 9 other bull tag holders in the entire unit with you!

Not any easier to draw than the rifle hunt.

I didn’t know such a thing was a thing. That is a lot of points. Can you downgrade them for an archery sheep tag!?
Or two goat tags.
Jesus.

What Vanish said above^^. And please don't waste your points on 76. It's good, but the bulls in 76 that can be found in units that require way less points to draw. They are just logistically harder to get to. One of the best parts of 76 is that you are getting an "unpressured" hunt experience in 76. Thats what people are paying for by waiting.
2, 10, or 201 if you waited this long. Maybe Early 61 rifle if your ready to cash in

Back