Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

27 NR Points for CO Elk...Which Rifle Hunt?

Have you ever thought about hunting with a muzzleloader? You have plenty of time to get everything dialed in and practice a bunch. The muzzleloader hunt in 201 would be an awesome experience. My dad hunted it this past year for cows. He had more than one nice bull within muzzleloader range. That’s what I’d do if I were you. Only 9 other bull tag holders in the entire unit with you!

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to research the NR points it took to draw for 2019.

Thank you for that suggestion.

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to research the NR points it took to draw for 2019.

Thank you for that suggestion.

In 2018, 8% of nonresidents with 27 points drew the early rifle tag in 201. For muzzleloader season, the lone NR with 27 points drew. 6 applicants were in the pool with 26. That would mean that you’ll still have a wait. Rats!

Other options that I would consider are the rifle seasons on the Bosque del Oso (GMU 851). Very limited rifle tags. Only 5 per season in 2018. But you’d certainly be in the running. In 2018, it took 22-24 points for a NR to draw.

In 2018, 8% of nonresidents with 27 points drew the early rifle tag in 201. For muzzleloader season, the lone NR with 27 points drew. 6 applicants were in the pool with 26. That would mean that you’ll still have a wait. Rats!

Other options that I would consider are the rifle seasons on the Bosque del Oso (GMU 851). Very limited rifle tags. Only 5 per season in 2018. But you’d certainly be in the running. In 2018, it took 22-24 points for a NR to draw.

Thank you for the detailed post. I've never heard of GMU 851. Any idea what the average bull quality is in there?

Thank you for the detailed post. I've never heard of GMU 851. Any idea what the average bull quality is in there?

I don’t know much about the Bosque del Oso. I do know that it’s a wintering ground, primarily for bachelor groups. Cow hunters don’t typically do as well as the bull hunters on those rifle seasons. Not sure how the bull quality compares to those NW units like 2, 10, and 201, but I do know they take some good bulls off the Bosque. It would be worth checking out, I’d think.

Last edited:

GMU 851 appears to be about 98% private land. Might be tough to obtain access.

Could be another 5-7 years at ~$90.00 per year. OUCH!

PLUS...I'll be at least 65 by then. DAMN! I was a young man when I started this chase. :(

This is my fear. I am 32 and only just starting to accumulate point. I would much rather (I think) chase elk in lesser quality units every few years than wait 27 years to draw a "great" tag. I figure that's 9 hunts in 3 point units which has to feel worth it in the end.

This is my fear. I am 32 and only just starting to accumulate point. I would much rather (I think) chase elk in lesser quality units every few years than wait 27 years to draw a "great" tag. I figure that's 9 hunts in 3 point units which has to feel worth it in the end.

I don't disagree with your perspective. I've been able to hunt the following states at least a couple times each - CO (for deer), NM, WY and AK while building up my elk points. I even shot two real nice elk in NM. So it's not like I'm only building points and not hunting. LOL.

I was gonna say look into some Ranching for Wildlife tags... until I just learned those tags are for residents only, I never realized that.

I don't know what I'd do with 27. I'd burn em on a unit that drew in the 24-25 range, or less, last year to be honest.

Unit 1 first rifle. Good bulls but some tough country. 50% draw with 26pts last year. You may catch it quicker than the others. 61 if I was set on burning them next year.

Back