.264 Win Mag Project

polaris_59701

Looking for some help on setting up a nice hunting load in the Winchester .264 w/ 26" pipe. I would like to stick with 140 gr bullets in order to achieve the best BC. It appears that most reloading manuals are conservation with this load when it comes to powder charge, and there aren't many of the new brands of powder listed. I would appreciate if anyone has any info they can share.

The best thing to do is start with the "conservative loads" in the manual and work up from there looking for signs of pressure. I would never start with someone else's load without verifying it in a manual. Each gun is different.

I know what you mean about older powder/bullet data for this round.

My load is 140 Accubonds, Retumbo, Win brass and mag primers, 3.300" OAL (.030 off my guns lands). Very low SD and 3,190 avg. Contemplated working something up for the new Accubond long range bullets for fun but my load shoots so well I'd be dumb to mess with it.

I worked up in .5 gr increments and played with the overall length from the lands back until the standard deviation and accuracy came in.

I'll pm you a chart I compiled with reload data from various sources, as well as my loadings.

Like elkantlers said, start low because different brass, barrels, etc can quickly build pressure.

I've shot about everything available in .264 or 6.5mm. My favorite load for the .264 win with 140 partitions is 65.0 gr. IMR 7828 with Fed 215 primer. I used Win. cases shot, sized and trimmed .010 under max legnth. Shot about 3/8" groups from a Remington Mod. 700 classic.

IIRC John Barsness wrote an article about the 264 in Handloader not too terribly long ago which contained some load data for some of the newer powders on the market. Might be worth looking for...

IIRC John Barsness wrote an article about the 264 in Handloader not too terribly long ago which contained some load data for some of the newer powders on the market. Might be worth looking for...

He has an article on the .264 WM in the current issue, August 2013, #285. He makes reference to an article that he wrote on the cartridge in February 2005, #233. If that's the one that you're thinking of, 1 pointer, you have a great memory... The powders he shot were Retumbo, Magnum, IMR 7828 SSC, Magpro, and Re-25. I don't have the article in front of me, but I think he was getting close to 3,100 fps with 140 gr. bullets from a 24 inch Ruger Hawkeye. If you can't get your hands on the magazine, let me know and I can PM you the data.

Also-- if for whatever reason you decide that you want a heavier bullet-- Woodleigh makes a 160 gr Protected Point. It's bonded, and has the same advertised BC as a 140 gr Nosler Accubond. I imagine that you could kill just about anything you wanted with the Woodleigh, although you'd be on your own as far as load data goes. In any case, if you're interested, you can check them out here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...-diameter-160-grain-protected-point-box-of-50

I've just finished building one down here in New Zealand . This will be a dedicated Tahr and Chamois rifle so loading 130 Swifts and 140 Amax only .

I get 3150 with the Swifts and 3200 with Amax no pressure signs using N560.

24 inch 1/ 8.5 twist barrel with suppressor built on a Parker Hale action.

Thanks to all who responded with load information. I was able to put a load together that performs great on paper and metal plates. I can't wait to see how it performs in the field. Thanks again!

Back