Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

26 year wait - Utah elk hunt

Headed back down in august and have been getting a lot of good intel. been flinging a lot of arrows out of 2 different bows & still in the "how many will I lose today?" stage of accuracy.

I'm getting old and fat and lazy and the thought of packing a big elk out alone is scary. Got a lighter tent and backpack earlier this year. Won't be taking a big spotter/tripod if I go set up a backpack camp.

Had to fix the threads on the 30 year old antique, cleaned it up and it's a light 45X option at 20 ounces. That's like a 6 pack of beer lighter.. and small.
IMG_4937.jpegIMG_4968.jpegIMG_4970.jpeg

You definitely should pack a 6’er to replace those lbs. that you shaved! Will need hydration after each hammer sesh.

Headed back down in august and have been getting a lot of good intel. been flinging a lot of arrows out of 2 different bows & still in the "how many will I lose today?" stage of accuracy.

I'm getting old and fat and lazy and the thought of packing a big elk out alone is scary. Got a lighter tent and backpack earlier this year. Won't be taking a big spotter/tripod if I go set up a backpack camp.

Had to fix the threads on the 30 year old antique, cleaned it up and it's a light 45X option at 20 ounces. That's like a 6 pack of beer lighter.. and small.
View attachment 285468View attachment 285469View attachment 285470
Thought I was the only one still holding on to that B&L spotter.

If you find yourself without help and happen to kill a giant on a sat-tues and need help, reach out and I will legit drive down from dillon to help you pack. Promise I wont steal your spot. ;)

View attachment 285468View attachment 285469View attachment 285470
I kinda want to know about that B&L spotter. Is it a good option or just a very lightweight one that you’ll put up with. Wasn’t expecting to see that from you, to be honest.

If you find yourself without help and happen to kill a giant on a sat-tues and need help, reach out and I will legit drive down from dillon to help you pack. Promise I wont steal your spot. ;)
you'd drive 8 hours one way to pack out an elk for somebody you've never met? Message me your phone number and I might call you a couple times next few years. 🤣

I kinda want to know about that B&L spotter. Is it a good option or just a very lightweight one that you’ll put up with. Wasn’t expecting to see that from you, to be honest.
Bought that decades back and never threw it out, had a plastic tripod wired/duct taped onto it and used it when trying to stay lighter as I’d stripped the 1/4” threads out of it. Scope is not bad but nowhere close to looking through my bigger one. It has a place. Most extra lightweight spotters are only 20-30x. I like it. They do not make them anymore.

Bought that decades back and never threw it out, had a plastic tripod wired/duct taped onto it and used it when trying to stay lighter as I’d stripped the 1/4” threads out of it. Scope is not bad but nowhere close to looking through my bigger one. It has a place. Most extra lightweight spotters are only 20-30x. I like it. They do not make them anymore.

I don't know man, my setup for this year might have you beat.

20230727_092739.jpg

20230727_092727.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Use up all that PTO on the elk! That way I don't have to worry about the competition in the deer woods in November.

I don't know man, my setup for this year might have you beat.

View attachment 285664

View attachment 285663

View attachment 285662

Use up all that PTO on the elk! That way I don't have to worry about the competition in the deer woods in November.
What pirate did you steal that from? I've never heard of one of those. I"m sure I won't be any competition for you on the deer, and would guess I won't even be hunting until you've had a few nice meals of 2023 venison.

It’s a long time to wait. One crazy & amazing 4 day scouting trip in, a world record 6 weeks usage of google earth and shameless messages and phone calls to locals and previous hunters. Should be a fun time - supposedly the best public land elk hunt in the US today. I’m excited for some crazy elk action.

View attachment 283856
Op, I admire your commitment to drawing such a tag. Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back