Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

26 yard zero

Nathan

I recently read an article that said if I zero my 30-06 with 150 grain bullets at 26 yards it will be dead on at 245 yards.

Has anyone heard this before?

Just check your ballistics projection. At 26 yds the bullet is rising to LOS and at 245 yds the bullet is falling to LOS. This could be but I would double check and shoot at the distance.

Depends on your bullet, actual muzzle velocity, elevation above sea level, height of sight above the bore. There are ballistics programs that take all of those into account.

Even with all of that information, it’s best to double check in real life.

I would check at long range, don't assume. Ballistic programs do not take into account a bore not being perfectly parallel to your scope, nor scope height to center of bore, etc. You will likley be close, but you could be off a foot.

I have every intention of checking. Range is 2 1/2 hours away. If the 26 yard zero theory is accurate to say within 6-8” then when I go to the range I can just pay for the 200 yard range and dial it in vs. paying for say the 100 then the 200.

Just trying to save myself extra time since I have the ability to shoot up to about 75 yards here.

It will get it in the neighborhood, but that's it.
It will be very likely out left or right even if the height holds true.
When I zeroed at 25 meters in the army, we were still taken over to the range and confirmed at 50 and then 100 later and adjustments made if needed. They were usually needed but not much.
As has already been stated, it's always best to confirm at distance.

Because of the parabolic path of the bullet it will be on at about 25 yards and I think 100 yards. So if you sight in at 100 yards it should be on at 25 or so which is handy to know if you want to use it on small game. But you might want to verify this for yourself.

If you zero at 25 you’re going to darned sure shoot at the intermediate distances. You may find you’re too high at 100-150 for comfort.

It all depends. I just ran a quick estimate on IStrelok, 150gr bullet, .400 BC, 2950fps with a 25yd zero, and it showed 4.25" high at 100yds, and ultimately a 300yd zero. I would suggest being at least an inch low at 25yds, due to what will most likely be a 1.75-2" difference in mechanical offset of your scope over bore.

Been awhile since I've shot much bu all my rifle's are zeroed to a MPBR, max point blank range. Doing that or zeroing at any range the bullet is gonna cross the line of sight at two point's, one very close to 25 yds. For me what matter's is the mid range trajectory, MRT. The max target size I zero for is 8" and at that the bullet never rise's moree than 4" above the line of sight. Works great for me on big game. The smallest target I zero tor is 3". Did that with my 243's as found out that at time's all you get to see is the head of a coyote. I give up some longer range but still don't have to worry much about trajectory to a good distance on a coyote size animal. Even using the 3" target to zero, there will be two places the bullet cross's the line of sight on it way to MPBR, which is 1 1/2" below the line of sight.

You learn something new everyday (if you try to). Thanks for sharing everyone.

Ha! Way back in the early 1960's my Grandfather told me, if your not careful you learn something new every day. Never forgot that.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back