Best (and Worst) Muzzleloading Bullet Experiences

I‘m curious to know how folks’ recommendations would change for an all lead, conical only (no sabot) state like Idaho.
For me it would be no problem, and actually I would be all for it.

It was my understanding that the muzzzleloading seasons were started to allow a low number of hunters the opportunity to hunt with relativily short range traditional muzzleloading rifles, much like the archery seasons, before the hordes of orange pumpkins are turned loose in the woods.

Many hunters, like myself, saw these hunts as a way to hunt earlier in the year when the weather is more comfortable and the woods are less crowded. But then some of these hunters found out that with these primitive weapons that they would actually have to use some hunting skills and get inside of 100-150 yards of their quarry to make a clean kill.

So the push began to make muzzleloader rifles more accurate and to extend their effective range. Some gun manufacturers saw the opportunity for increased sales, and now we have gun manufacturers that advertize that their "modern" muzzleloading rifles are accurate out to 600 or so yards. A distance that is beyond the capability of many hunters with their smokeless powder/centerfire magnum rifles.

I went to 338 grain power belts for full bore 50 cal requirements in Colorado. I had success with the 350 GR Hornady but follow up loading is way easier with the 338 power belt. For effective range you should put the load in a ballistic calculation and study the drop in energy. These 50 cal projectiles have miserable ballistic coefficients and loose effective killing power quickly compared to modern rifles.

Yeah, I found that out last year- my old muzzleloader was dead on at 100 yards, and a whopping 8 inches low at 150 yards. Hence, the reason for this thread. I bought a newer muzzleloader that can take heavier loads, and I am going to try to extend my effective range to 200 or more this year. The wind is actually my biggest concern out here in Wyoming- those muzzleloader bullets really get blown off course during windy conditions.

Yeah, I found that out last year- my old muzzleloader was dead on at 100 yards, and a whopping 8 inches low at 150 yards. Hence, the reason for this thread. I bought a newer muzzleloader that can take heavier loads, and I am going to try to extend my effective range to 200 or more this year. The wind is actually my biggest concern out here in Wyoming- those muzzleloader bullets really get blown off course during windy conditions.
I did a lot of testing and would keep velocity top of the list. Even with BH209, It was difficult to get enough velocity at 200 yards to ensure min expansion. I wanted to run a mono but didn’t feel safe at that distance for an elk.

Dropping down to a 250g got the velocity up but the actual ft lbs of energy was less than the slower 300.

Here is my data for the Hornady Bore Rider using a healthy charge of BH209.

B6467F06-A7B0-48E7-85A9-FC90902EBDC6.png

Back