Caribou Gear Tarp

26 nosler

Anyone shoot one? What are your thoughts on it? Found a browning x bolt western hunter on sale at cabelas in this chambering. Very interesting bullet, fastest 6.5 mil bullet in production if my research is correct.

While I don't have one. I have a buddy that does. I have a 28 and 30. All of their rounds are great. To answer your questions yest its fast, i think the Weatherby 6.5-3 00 is faster. I am a firm believer in the Nosler cartridges, as I have done extensive work with them and they are true to the printed specs ( I actually do better). I think the 26 is a great round if you are hunting and doing some recreational shooting. It has two potential problems, yes the ammo is a little expensive and it does burn the barrel but that's if you shoot a thousand rounds or so. I haven't shot a thousand rounds of everything combined in he last 10 years. Even after that you are talking about minor loss of accuracy so small that unless you are shooting way out there it wont matter. I think its a fantastic deer/antelope round. I think the .28 may be the best all around they offer. It will do anything you ask.

I did just buy one of the Browning rifles in .28 at Cabelas, too good of deal to pass.

While I don't have one. I have a buddy that does. I have a 28 and 30. All of their rounds are great. To answer your questions yest its fast, i think the Weatherby 6.5-3 00 is faster. I am a firm believer in the Nosler cartridges, as I have done extensive work with them and they are true to the printed specs ( I actually do better). I think the 26 is a great round if you are hunting and doing some recreational shooting. It has two potential problems, yes the ammo is a little expensive and it does burn the barrel but that's if you shoot a thousand rounds or so. I haven't shot a thousand rounds of everything combined in he last 10 years. Even after that you are talking about minor loss of accuracy so small that unless you are shooting way out there it wont matter. I think its a fantastic deer/antelope round. I think the .28 may be the best all around they offer. It will do anything you ask.

I did just buy one of the Browning rifles in .28 at Cabelas, too good of deal to pass.
You might have bought the last one! They don’t have anymore. They had them yesterday

Don’t do it I’m currently burning the barrel out of one trying to get it to shoot 156 Berger’s. It’s been frustrating to say the least.

I love mine, shooting 142 Long Range Accubonds at 3384fps. Shoots awesome. The 6.5 caliber is one of the best out there in my opinion.

I really want to get one however am a little nervous because Im Not sure how ammo availability will be in the future looks like some rifles that were previously chambered in 26 nosler are no longer being offered in that caliber. Not really sure why it never took off with all of the 6.5 craze.

I really want to get one however am a little nervous because Im Not sure how ammo availability will be in the future looks like some rifles that were previously chambered in 26 nosler are no longer being offered in that caliber. Not really sure why it never took off with all of the 6.5 craze.
It was going like gangbusters until the .28 came. All high end gun manufactures are cranking out .28. Its potential is really gaining popularity as one of the best all around cartridges. Lots of companies making ammo for it now.

It was going like gangbusters until the .28 came. All high end gun manufactures are cranking out .28. Its potential is really gaining popularity as one of the best all around cartridges. Lots of companies making ammo for it now.
That’s the only thing I can think is that if your in that market the 28 really gives you more so why not step up.

Nosler will likely always make ammo for it. That said, I'd not get into one if I was counting solely on factory ammo. I'd be looking at the 7 Rem Mag in that class of cartridge.

Nosler will likely always make ammo for it. That said, I'd not get into one if I was counting solely on factory ammo. I'd be looking at the 7 Rem Mag in that class of cartridge.
Yea I know what u mean the logical side of my brain says just get the 7mag but the other side of my brain doesn’t agree lol

I have a friend with the .28 Nosler who has taken antelope at 700yds and elk at 1400yds dropping them pretty quick

Don’t do it I’m currently burning the barrel out of one trying to get it to shoot 156 Berger’s. It’s been frustrating to say the least.
The 26 has a reputation for being picky.

To the OP, my dad has a Nosler Model 48 in the .26 and load development for it was extensive. But once he finally found the right load, it shot really well. However, he’s scaling back and decided to sell it. Still for sale if you’re interested. There’s wiggle room on prices:

The 26 has a reputation for being picky.

To the OP, my dad has a Nosler Model 48 in the .26 and load development for it was extensive. But once he finally found the right load, it shot really well. However, he’s scaling back and decided to sell it. Still for sale if you’re interested. There’s wiggle room on prices:

Someone should buy this rifle ^^^^

What do you think the issue is? On another note if you were running a chronograph what was the ave deviation ??

What do you think the issue is? On another note if you were running a chronograph what was the ave deviation ??
I would suspect I’m not getting the neck tension right. Ave deviation not great probably 25-30. I’m learning as I go I’m not an expert reloader. I’m sure the gun will shoot. Probably in over my head with this caliber.

I’m not the guy you asked, but will weigh in anyway. The 26 Nosler cartridge is really sensitive to minor changes in loads, so finding the right load that consistently shoots well can be really challenging. (This is directly from the guys at Nosler and from my dad’s experience.) My dad’s rifle likes to be shot pretty clean, with a thorough copper cleaning each time it’s scrubbed. After about thirty shots, groups would open up, and would tighten back after being cleaned. Kind of a pain, but worth it if you want to push 140 grain bullets at 3350 fps.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back