Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

257 Weatherby Mag

...can't wait for Fin to get his new foo foo custom so's I can steal his 25 Roy 700. Randy, you'll accept a two party chack on an out of state band won't'cha?;)

Does a hand me down Stevens single action qualify as a "foo foo custom?"

From you, I would accept Monopoly money, and know it would be honored at your bank.

Had not considered this round before. The other day I was talking with a guy that absolutely loved it. After some more talking I find out he's got over eighty rifles and this was his favorite.

So I checked out a series 2 at the local cabelas and really liked the feel of the target trigger but not the safety so much. That trigger really felt comfortable to me and for five hundred bucks it seemed like a value.

I know the argument about expensive to shoot, but I can reload or sell my brass for good money.

Anyone familiar with the series 2?

Looking to use it on a mn. wolf and someday sheep.

Having had a custom .257 Weatherby all I can say is if want a caliber that shoots flat, hits like the Hammer of Thor, and has a relatively mild recoil as magnum calibers go, then you'll like the .257 Weatherby. Not to mention it is just fun to shoot. The only downside is keeping it fed, but handloading definitely takes a lot of the edge off the cost of ammo. Here are 3 antelope I killed with my .257 custom in less time that it took to make this post.
AntelopeTroy2.jpg

That is a good looking rifle set up Big Sky. I had the 25 WBY in an Accumark...I thought it kicked about like a 7 mag.

That is what I keep hearing, "Knocks em down like they've been hit by a train" with accuracy to boot.

Skeet my pm's aren't showing anything.

Thanks

A .257 Weatherby is my go to gun. I have taken antelope, deer and elk with it. Fun to shoot, low recoil and very accurate. I just did a few mods to my gun. A new Bell & Carlson stock, bedding job, and a timney trigger set to 2 pounds! It not only will shoot sub MOA but can and does shoot sub clover leaf groups (1/4 MOA). I reload and have found my rilfe likes a max load IMR 7828 with 110 Accubonds (115 tsx for the elk). I am about 3480 at the muzzle (3400 with 115 tsx). Hammer of Thor is an apt description.

Back