.243 for my son

I had bought a Tikka T3 243 with my wife and future kids in mind several years ago. But I love shooting that thing between the light recoil and accuracy. It still hasn't killed a critter, so I am carrying it this month while chasing deer. Shooting 90 grain accubonds.

The Tikka 243 that has a permanent home in my gun safe is the compact version. It’s one of my all-time favorites! I leave tomorrow afternoon for South Dakota whitetail and I still haven’t decided if I’m taking it or my 7mm-08. The 243 is my son’s gun and he told me he’d rent it to me if I wanted … 🤣

243 uses too much powder to be low recoil in a youth rig. 6.5G does better than 243 on lung shots and is a surer exit.

A 62gr Fusion through the shoulders or low lung will show you most kids are over gunned on deer sized game.

I got a Weatherby Vanguard .243 for my son because it had a spacer for the stock. This allowed me to add another inch to the length of the stock as he grew. He stopped hunting and now my wife and I use that gun exclusively for deer and antelope.

Howdy. I have a Winchester 70 in a 243 which I inherited. Sweet gun! But, I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in a 270 WSM. It's in the top two I have for accuracy. Tikka rifles are built(so I've heard) the same way and quality as their Sako line. It is built very well for such a light rifle.
:)

My tikka is is a tack driver. Mine is the older version and had the stock dipped to sexy her up a bitIMG_3949.jpg

Last edited:
I shoot a very nice Rem M700 in .243 win, shoots great its the heavy barrel one, mbut there is no recoil at all, you could get him a med barrel, the older Winchester M70 are also great, if you dont mind paying a bit more for your hunting ammo, if you see a 6mm rem, they are just great on deer and Pronghorns.

The Ruger American cannot be beat for its price and its even better than some more expensive rifles. I love my american in 243. But u can get a better gun if ur willing to spend some more dough.

I bought the ruger american in 243. It's a good rifle. It's not fancy and it suffers from some of the things all economy rifles suffer from like metal that's not polished. They are accurate and function great though. You can also got a youth stock for it which I did. I agree with those who suggested the tikka. They are great but noticeably more money. You might also want to think about a 6.5 creedmoor. Recoilmis also pretty mild in that one.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back