Caribou Gear

.243 for elk

My nephew has taken several elk with a .243.

As stated above . . . shot placement. Just don't think your going to shoot through a shoulder to get to the vitals.

I have. Broke one shoulder, complete pass through.

Last edited by a moderator:
A .22 will kill elk, but that does not make it the best choice. I would look for a reduced-recoil loading in the 30-06 if it was me. Just make sure she has the trigger time and picks her shots with whatever you decide to use.

A 243 and a 22 are such different guns the comparison isn't even relevant. I have talked to dozens of people who have killed elk with a 243 and a few who even use it as their primary gun.

Thanks for the responses guys. It sounds like the .243 has and will kill elk.

I do reload.

She is very recoil sensitive, so I believe I have one shot at getting it right with her.

I'm also looking at the 7-08 as a possiblity.

You can load some 100 grain bullets over 11 grains of Unique powder for a plinking load. This will be about equivalent of a .22 Hornet for recoil.

For a hunting load, I loaded 130 grain Barnes TSX over 37 grains of H4895. Very pleasant load. If your daughter could handle these, you could work up a little hotter even. I would rate these at about 30-30 level recoil.

As stated below, use both earplugs and muffs to tame the muzzle blast.

Attachments

• H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 146
Just got back from the local gun store.

Just too much room for error with a .243 I'm thinking.

Handled a Ruger American in 7-08 and put it on lay-away.

We'll get it stretched out over spring and summer with reduced loads and hopefully by fall, she'll be competent with some 120 grain X bullets.

How close do you have to be for a .243 to bust an elk shoulder and completely pass through? mtmuley

Just got back from the local gun store.

Just too much room for error with a .243 I'm thinking.

Handled a Ruger American in 7-08 and put it on lay-away.

We'll get it stretched out over spring and summer with reduced loads and hopefully by fall, she'll be competent with some 120 grain X bullets.

With reduced loads, I would be real careful with the Barnes. Without the velocity, they may not expand. I would look at the Partitions at reduced velocity or even Hornady Interlocks. Any of the softer bullets will work really well at reduced velocity.

I would see if she can handle the full load first. She may surprise you if she is really serious about killing an elk.

My favorite caliber, buddy and I both shot huge bulls last year with them. I had been shoti g the Barnes but got zero expansion on this last bull. Killed him in his bed but zero expansion is a problem for me. Solid platform to work with, what optic you going with. I have a vx3 2.5-8 on my kimber 84. It's enough but have wanted a bit more mag at times. I personally like a 4-12 for almost everything, good for timber or open country. A vx2 would be a good place to start.

Good deal T-Bone! I'd also look at the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for a light kicking load. It's jacket is VERY heavy (more than 60% of the total weight). The 120 is on the right. Look how much thicker the jacket is all around the core
120grBTand140BTsectioned.jpg

A 120gr 7mm bullet at 2800fps (well off max) isn't a whole different than the 130gr 270 Win loads of yesteryear that killed lots of elk.

I ordered dies, brass, and some 100 grain Sierras to get started.

I've an older Burris 3-9x40 laying around that will go on the rifle.

Pointer, thanks for the tip on the 120 BT. The local store has a bunch of them.

My plan is to get her comfy with the rifle with the light loads. Meanwhile I'll be working on a Max load in whatever 120 grainer shoots well. At game time we'll switch out.

The stock will likely get painted pink with some unicorns on it.

A 243 wouldn't be my 1st choice for myself. But my nephew has killed Elk with one.
and for younger hunters you really don't have a lot of choices that they can handle.
use a decent bullet and do it.

Kevin

My oldest might have one a Ruger American coming if they made them in left hand. Tbone, just to spend more of your money, be aware that they make an American Rimfire that pretty much duplicates the centerfire. Cheap shooting practice and every thing works the same between the two.

I've taken a few elk with one, and a girl that we used to take hunting, took about half a dozen with a 6mm. Killed em well enough. Wouldn't be my first choice for elk though. I think its a fantastic deer rifle though.

I think I would look at a 7-08 or 260 Rem. Recoil is marginally more, and I think its offers a bit more punch, albeit minimal. I think these two calibers are much more versatile. At least you can get bigger bullets. A 120-140gr TSX or Partition/Accubond would be my minimum choice for elk. Being small you'll probably need to work on the stock for her, or find a youth model. A properly fitting stock helps a lot with recoil management. You can add some weight to the stock to suck up a bit of the recoil, as well as a quality recoil pad. When she gets a bit bigger/older you can swap the stocks and she'll have a rifle she can hunt elk with the rest of her life.

Congrats on having a new hunter in the family. Must be exciting!

well said,it takes time to get comfortable with a rifle,and once you do,you will want to use it,and just think,4 years from now when she is 16 and able to handle the recoil better,all you will need to do is change ammo,not the gun.:hump:

IMO recoil is about noise as much as kick. I would suggest that when you go to the range, use muffs and plugs (make sure the plugs are in far enough - most people do not get them in properly).

For shots on game I never notice the noise or recoil, but it makes a big difference at the range, from a bench.

My daughter turns 12 soon and 2014 will bring new fun for me in taking my daughter hunting.

The 30-06 is too much gun for her.

She's little, shoots well, and likes puppies and unicorns.

Who has 1st hand experience with the 243 and elk?

Even with premium bullets, are we asking for trouble?

Any caliber will take down an animal,thats not the point. we are taliking about a youth starting out (I have been through two daughters) my personal opinion is you are asking for trouble with a .243 in the hands of a youth hunting elk.Go with the the 7mm-08, it will load way down to start out for practice,then load it up for big critters. You may consider the larger calibers with a muzzle break , heavy recoil starting out is a bad bad thing, especially for a petite daughter..my two cents

I agree...good choice on the 7-08, you can see from Buzz's success stories, that it gets the job done. Myself and daughter both use it.

I'd bet Buzz likes puppies and unicorns as well.

The reloading package from Graf's came in. That PPU brass is surprisingly good stuff for the price. Not a single throw away in the entire pack.

Speaking of unicorns, we stumbled on some Varget powder at the local gun store. Need to load up some rounds and shoot!

for younger hunters you really don't have a lot of choices that they can handle.

Not to start a war, but if a kid can't handle the recoil it doesn't make it okay that the animal could suffer because of it. If they can't handle the recoil of a caliber producing 1500 foot lbs at impact (personal benchmark), they are not ready to hunt elk. IMO there are plenty of options to reach that goal. More practice, shorter distances, muzzle breaks, recoil pads, lead sleds, good ear protection.

I think a 243 is fine for out to maybe 100 yards or so. Any further than that and they need to wait or step it up. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08 though! I just don't see the need to push the bare min with a 12 year old with buck fever. Losing an animal wouldn't be a great way to start them out. Just my $0.02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back