Yeti GOBOX Collection

‘22 Iowa whitetail

Gellar

As Dr. Phil would say “let’s do this!”

Our Iowa gun season starts on Saturday and people will start converging on our house Friday night with crock pots, Busch light and cheap whiskey. This will be a family, friends, friends of family, and even a friends of friends hunt. Opening day we usually have around 20 hunters and by Tuesday we are down to a dozen or so. It’s going to take place on private and public land in the northeast corner of Iowa, an area called the Driftless Area. I can’t guarantee we will see any deer, but bet your bottom dollar we will have fun, eat lots, and be merry.

I am not to worried about getting a deer this season as anyone who has followed along in the past knows when the thermometer drops to 0 and the snow piles up it will be time for me to get serious about deer hunting.

If you are so inclined to follow along, thank you! I’ll try to post pictures after each drive over the weekend.

If you want to recap last year’s shenanigans you can go here.

Hold up. You just made me peak at the regs. .35 whelen is legal back there now? That's it. I'm buying one...or two...
Still rockin’ the 20 gauge! We have a few guys who shoot the 350 legend and 450 bushmaster but I don’t know anyone whose shooting a .35 Whelen

Is that list scheduled to change next year - .38-55 in, .45-70 out and the .38-40 and .44-40 in as well?

personally, I'm uncomfortable with some of these, including the .45-70 (of which I have 4 or 5). I would not use it in my own backyard. Wish they would just stick to pistol cartridges.
I’d say it changes yearly. Last year or 2 years ago nobody knew if a .350 legend was legal. Tons of people bought them for deer hunting so they pretty much changed the rule to allow them.

Is that list scheduled to change next year - .38-55 in, .45-70 out and the .38-40 and .44-40 in as well?

personally, I'm uncomfortable with some of these, including the .45-70 (of which I have 4 or 5). I would not use it in my own backyard. Wish they would just stick to pistol cartridges.
I’d say it changes yearly. Last year or 2 years ago nobody knew if a .350 legend was legal. Tons of people bought them for deer hunting so they pretty much changed the rule to allow them.
I knew people were frustrated to see the arbitrary and inconsistent changes. Didn't think I'd ever see a necked cartridge legal for "shotgun" season.

Also, sorry for derailing this thing already @Gellar

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back