‘21 Iowa whitetail

Gellar

I normally wait until the late muzzleloader season but I guess I’ll start early this year and try to keep it going through January 10 which is the end of the late muzzleloader season. If you’ve followed along in the past you know that I will get serious about hunting when we have snow on the ground and temps around 0.

But we are going to start with a fun 5 day hunt starting Saturday.

Iowa runs 2 “shotgun” season. I use quotes because a few years ago straight walled rifles became legal. Most people that I know still hunt in large groups and do deer drives. Our group is no different. We will hunt a combination of private land and public land with family and lifelong friends. The 2 oldest members of the group, my father in law and his best friend grew up here and have been hunting these same bluffs for 70 years. There will be as many as 20 people in the group on Saturday and each day will be a few less. It sounds chaotic but everyone knows where they go and everyone is safe and courteous; if they aren’t, they don’t hunt with us anymore.

Base camp is in my garage. Everyone will meet there in the mornings and between drives. We will hunt, drink lots of lattes and eat lots of food.

For this season I will have 4 tags. 3 will be anterless and 1 will be my landowner any sex tag. Before you Bitch about landowners getting tags I will only use my landowner tag if I can shoot the buck that is tearing apart the oak trees in my yard. The 3 antlerless deer will go into the group pile for sausage and bologna minus the shanks, tenders and back straps. They are all mine!

As always, if you have any question, comments or concerns about hunting in Iowa feel free to let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Good luck. I plan on being up your way over the holidays with a late antlerless muzzy tag. Hopefully have some ice by then to get some gills and perch while I'm there.
I’m looking forward to ice fishing too. Temps are looking a little more favorable for making ice next week.

I miss the excitement of doing drives. Glad you guys have a safe bunch to do it with that's the biggest thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back