‘22 gardening

Anybody else keep flower beds as well? Can't eat em, but I enjoy growing them. Couple pics I took when I got home from work this morning.
View attachment 230468View attachment 230469View attachment 230470View attachment 230471
My wife keeps the flowers around the house but I’ve been removing undesirables from my native prairie area lately. The native grasses get better and better every year, this will be the 4th year since I’ve let it go wild and started planting natives.

2021, was the best year for my garden ever.

2022, back to where I was before…….

Gardening is an example of something I enjoy, but completely suck at.

My wife keeps the flowers around the house but I’ve been removing undesirables from my native prairie area lately. The native grasses get better and better every year, this will be the 4th year since I’ve let it go wild and started planting natives.

How big is your native grass plot? I have a few small openings around the edge of my grove I thought about putting native grass. Each is about 80 ft by 80 ft.

How big is your native grass plot? I have a few small openings around the edge of my grove I thought about putting native grass. Each is about 80 ft by 80 ft.
For an area 80' by 80' I would do a combination of a native seed mix and plugs. Kill everything off this fall, and seed it down in the Spring/early summer. For the first couple of years you will want to keep the area mowed <12" to allow some of the slower growing plants to get a start before being shaded out. If you have any questions let me know.

She does a splash of vinegar, salt, mayo, sour cream and dill.
I've eaten it the other way as well, but I'll generally eat what evever she puts in front of me. Lol

Anybody have any good tomato cages? The home depot variety get overwhelmed by this time of year
I tried using cattle panels this year. I took 3 16’ panels and 3 fence posts for each and set them up like a trellis. The verdict is still out. I definitely need to space my plants about twice as far if I go this method next year.

Deer browsed off the tops of a bunch of tomato plants last night. Will they eat green tomatoes as well? I’m trying to figure out if it was the squirrels or the deer that got my tomatoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back