204 Ruger, Mag primers & CFE223?

MThuntr

Anyone have thoughts about using Magnum primers in 204 Ruger using CFE223 (ball powder)?
Currently using CCI Small Rifle primers, Winchester brass, 32 Grain V-Max bullets. I got to listed max and didn't experience any signs of pressure but with the big velocity swings I'm probably missing something. Temps were around 65 degrees.

This rifle wants to shoot but my velocities are all over the place. When working up loads I typically ended up with SD's of 40+ and a few were 120. I've read that using magnum primers might smooth things out a bit. Am I wasting time and should I just switch powders and start over?

Last edited:
I've loaded cfe-223 in my 204 for quite a while now, and I have had terrible SD/ES's until I found "the load" for the particular rifle. I had terribly inconsistent velocities with cci200's. Switching to br4's helped, but even that load shoots a 34-40fps SD's depending on the bullet. I ended up giving up on hornady bullets, and now use 39gr Sierra BlitzKings and 35gr Bergers in my 204's. I've stuck with cfe-223 since I have several pounds of it, and I'm happy with how it shoots the 39gr SBk's. I wouldn't say you're wasting time with cfe-233, but it is definitely a tough one to load for.

In addition to trying new primers, I'd make sure to scrub the barrel down to metal again. My 204's foul up pretty quickly after a day or two of blasting whistle pigs, and that's when I see the worst SD's.

Magnum primers not needed for the 204 Ruger.
I also tried CFE223 in 223 Rem and 308 Win. Gave decent velocities but as mentioned the extreme spread and standard deviation was way up there.

Try Win 748, or Alliant's Power Pro 1200 or Power Pro Varmint.

Sounds like I'm gonna track down a few different primers. Load development has been next to impossible with CFE223 so Ill have to take a look at a few other powders if I can't get this stuff to calm down a bit.

Been there done that!!

With your bullet of choice, the Alliant Varmint looks like the way to go.
If you can find Federal primers( standard or match) velocities seem to settle down, just not with CFE223.

Been there done that!!

With your bullet of choice, the Alliant Varmint looks like the way to go.
If you can find Federal primers( standard or match) velocities seem to settle down, just not with CFE223.

I have a pile of CFE223 so it will probably get loaded into open site AR15 plinking ammo. I'll take a look at Alliant Varmint as I think I can get that locally.

Actually, looking at the Hodgdon manual, if it were me i might try some IMR8208 XBR.
Varmint shows 4018 with 32gr. Speer.
8208 shows 4130 with the 32gr VMAX.

Just say'n... Lol

Albeit not with cfe223 I've had good luck with Rem 7 1/2 primers in two of my 204’s. It may be worth a try before abandoning a powder you have in bulk. Hodgdon Benchmark has served me well with 39 SBK’s and 32 Zmax bullets.

Actually, looking at the Hodgdon manual, if it were me i might try some IMR8208 XBR.
Varmint shows 4018 with 32gr. Speer.
8208 shows 4130 with the 32gr VMAX.

Just say'n... Lol

I really like XBR8208 in my 204 with 32 and 40gr hornady vmax bullets. I ran about 6 lbs of cfe223 through my 22-250 last year and never got good SD, but the velocity was great and it was an accurate powder in my gun. My only complaint is that it seems pretty temp sensitive. Noticable when shooting prarie dogs fast and furious in warm weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back