2023 spring turkey!

I shot my first turkey since 2018 this morning. I have a full write up of the hunt on my semi-live hunt log.
This is an as he lay picture.
IMG_3838.jpg

19 pound, 9 inch beard and 3/4" spurs. It was a great hunt and I am so happy to have all of the pieces come together to bring home a bird. Love turkey hunting!

Interesting. I wouldn’t call the hens hussy’s. I guess they probably do have many sexual encounters with different Tom turkeys during the breeding season, but after that they are left on their own to raise 10-16 bastard poults.
Nah, those are man-stealing Jezebels if ever I've seen one

After 3 weeks in the field I decided my last outing to consolidate my vest to a fanny pack. Ditch the 2 man pop-up and carry a ground seat with attached folding seat. Carry off for my surrounding. Only thing balky is the 3 Avian decoys besides my cannon. Right now with birds calling in hens, run and gunning with a bum leg is doable. I hate boots but I hate snake bites more.

1st weeks of the year thinking I'm missing something and finding out all the stuff I stuffed into my vest is not warranted.
Do you ditch half your vest contents before or after the 1st hunt ?

I went out and called for my boys when the one son got one. I had a call, a bottle of gatorade, and a small roll of electrical tape. used everything. Should have brought a seat cushion as the ground was wet and frozen. Other than that, nothing was needed.

1st weeks of the year thinking I'm missing something and finding out all the stuff I stuffed into my vest is not warranted.
It’s usually 40 degrees for a high when I start turkey hunting and 75 when I’m done so I usually have warm clothes, but clothes, sunscreen, bug spray, empty water bottles, extra calls, lost calls; pretty much everything before the end of the season.

I avoid this by not wearing a vest. I carry my gun, a couple extra shells, and mouth call pouch. Sometimes I also carry a scratch box and a glass call. All of it fits in my pockets.

On the downside, I was pretty hungry yesterday with no snacks

My son shot a nice one Wednesday. 11" beard and 1 1/2" spur. the other spur was broke. great hunt with him lying prone for 30 minutes with hens as close as 8 feet!
That's awesome, my old friend who taught me to turkey hunt said if turkeys could smell, they would all die of old age.

Yes, after the first hunt or two. I do that in deer season too though. Start off packing like Im going to have to survive for days with every conceivable mishap. By the end of season, Im lucky to still have a knife in my pack.

Could be chasing a ghost. Walking in I found a feather just down the path from the gate and then when I got back to where he's been roosting I found a fair amount of feathers. I'm hoping it's just preening but they weren't here when I left yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back