Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2023 spring turkey!

Season opens here soon and I can't wait. There is still +2' of snow in the woods but I heard 2 toms gobbling like crazy Saturday morning. I have no idea how they are getting around as I am sinking between my knee and waist with every step. It will be very warm in northern WI This week so I think our snow may finally be coming to the end. In the Southern part of the state I think we can say spring is here and the snow is gone.

Taking kids hunting is always fun. I have lost count on how many time I have to wake them when game comes in. The good thing about taking them is all the snacks you can pack without getting in trouble from the wife.

Congratulations to all of you that have been able to get a bird so far this spring.

Season opens here soon and I can't wait. There is still +2' of snow in the woods but I heard 2 toms gobbling like crazy Saturday morning. I have no idea how they are getting around as I am sinking between my knee and waist with every step. It will be very warm in northern WI This week so I think our snow may finally be coming to the end. In the Southern part of the state I think we can say spring is here and the snow is gone.

Taking kids hunting is always fun. I have lost count on how many time I have to wake them when game comes in. The good thing about taking them is all the snacks you can pack without getting in trouble from the wife.

Congratulations to all of you that have been able to get a bird so far this spring.
Memories, my boys always carried a book.

I couldnt wait for MT to open so I took a rd trip to a reservation in NE to get a jump on the season. Was pretty good. I got one in the late afternoon and the other off the roost. Was nice to get away from winter for a few days.

Attachments

• Nebraska 1 2023.jpg
    Nebraska 1 2023.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 25
  • nebraska #2 2023.jpg
    nebraska #2 2023.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 25
I ate fresh wild Turkey nuggets for dinner! How someone can honestly say they don’t care for wild Turkey is beyond me. I think it’s delicious!
I saved the heart and gizzard and fried them along with the turkey tenders after I saw @WoodMoose’s post a few weeks back and they were tasty little morsels as well!

My dad started the morning by getting two jakes with one shot. As he does. I was hunting with my friend and we didn’t see or hear anything all morning. He had to leave early to catch an afternoon plane, so I went back out solo and got this 21#’er. He was with a rope dragger that I couldn’t get a clear shot at, so hopefully either my friend or my son will have a chance at him before season ends.

I didn’t know how badly I needed a day out in the woods to get me back straight inside.
59DB928A-73EC-4607-80F7-97E5EC333351.jpeg
3F7AA2CB-E195-4D7B-A74C-F64BAE6AF6A7.jpeg

Last 3 morning in the woods in Va. Gobbling off the hook every morning then just after day break all went quite. Birds we hen'd up. Need to go back to the 2nd farm in Va. It's only an hour drive so morning hunt's are doable.
Good Luck all
Nice Bird BlueRidge !

Got out Monday afternoon for a few hours with no success. Finally got a free morning this morning and had a great hunt. Bird gobbling on the roost but he flew down away from me. Then I had another start gobbling and chased him and his hens for several hours before they finally got the better of me.

Had a classic public land interaction to start the morning though. Just as I'm about to walk in, a truck pulls up and two guys ask which way I'm heading.

"I'm going to go listen and follow the turkey gobbles"

"Well we'll go down this path and you can go down that one"

"Those paths go to the same place"

"No, they split off"

"Yeah but they go to the same creek bottom. If a turkey gobbles between us then what? There's 3000 acres here, find another gate"

Thankfully they left at that point.

This bird was with two hens since Sunday am and they spotted me twice and spooked
Caught him this am alone and he flipping at 6:35 am
Another double bearded bird; must be in the genetics(same farm)
10” main beard; didn’t measure second one,but 3-4”
7/8” spursE767D092-40FF-4A53-8215-840CF0F2C78D.jpeg73AC4460-901F-42E8-A3F1-0FCEAAF0644C.jpeg

Giving a local area here one more shot this AM before starting from scratch and finding a new front rAnge area to chase turkey. Hopefully it’s a loud morning and I can tag out. The upside is I’m getting some gorgeous miles in before we get another storm tmrw.

Hour and a half battle with the same bird from yesterday. Gobbled great on the roost, flew down kind of away from me and then was working back toward me. Had him at 75 with a hill between us and here come the Jezebels. They came in from the right and called to him. I tried to start a fight with them but they just drug him away.

Hour and a half battle with the same bird from yesterday. Gobbled great on the roost, flew down kind of away from me and then was working back toward me. Had him at 75 with a hill between us and here come the Jezebels. They came in from the right and called to him. I tried to start a fight with them but they just drug him away.
My morning the same. 4 of them Jezebels swept him away. I was fighting with them 45 minutes until he started heading towards me and they ran out. Fun interaction though.

I’ve never heard that before either. I thought at first you were calling the other hunters in your area jezebels. Anyone know the origin of it?
Queen Jezebel of Israel in the Bible. The narratives relating to the queen herself are found in 1 and 2 Kings, but over the years, especially in the South, the term has been used to refer to loose women because of Revelation 2:20 "But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols."
See also "hussy"

Queen Jezebel of Israel in the Bible. The narratives relating to the queen herself are found in 1 and 2 Kings, but over the years, especially in the South, the term has been used to refer to loose women because of Revelation 2:20 "But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols."
See also "hussy"
Interesting. I wouldn’t call the hens hussy’s. I guess they probably do have many sexual encounters with different Tom turkeys during the breeding season, but after that they are left on their own to raise 10-16 bastard poults.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriel Knight
Back