Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023 spring turkey!

Western Washington keeps getting pounded with snow. We‘re still a ways away, but I have my three spots all set. This is good since my knee isn’t ready. Can’t wait to caw and wait. I love that first response. Who knew a gobble could make my heart race?

Our numbers are so depressed that I personally won’t hunt here. I’ll take my wife out to hopefully get her first turkey with her bow towards the end of this month. My son is a Turkey hunting fanatic so I’m hoping him and I can take another trip out west this year. Bird numbers are down there though too.

I love turkey hunting, but I hate feeling bad shooting one when they are already so pressured by predators.

If you see a flock of turkeys here I’d bet 8 times outta 10 there’s a pair of coyotes stalking them. I call a few coyotes into my turkey setups every year. Turkey shells kill coyotes.

Getting ready, just bought my WI tag for 4th season. Probably hunt MN E season, if the snow is gone, northern parts got a lot, want to get a northern bird! Do the Ripley DAV hunt as a helper end of April. Got the mouth calls out, can't wait!

Me and the wife took a drive to town this morning, for coffee and doughnuts. 3 big flocks with 5-10 strutting toms in each. 2 smaller flocks with 2 or 3 toms strutting in them and a few other turkey's in singles or doubles, think those were mostly hens. Probably close to 200 total turkey's with 25ish being toms on our 12 mile round trip. I know there's at least one more big flock south of my house, that has a dozen or so toms in it.

There is so much damn snow here locally, that I might put off doing much more than trying to locate them right now. But I have 4 tags to fill between now and memorial day (CO + WI), so I am hoping I can get most of my hunting here done before 3rd week of May when I head to Wisco, where the birds seem to be out and about having a blast

There is so much damn snow here locally, that I might put off doing much more than trying to locate them right now. But I have 4 tags to fill between now and memorial day (CO + WI), so I am hoping I can get most of my hunting here done before 3rd week of May when I head to Wisco, where the birds seem to be out and about having a blast
Alot of gobbling going on by my place in SW Wisconsin over the weekend.

I use turkey wings for arrow fetching.

If you get a good number of wings, I'll pay the shipping to send them to me.

Thanks

New gun's choke may be just a little too tight at 15 yards 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 270342
Looks like a winner to me. I always say, you can't eat the beak!

For the record, at a turkey camp with some buddies right after college, we filled out and while sitting around camp drinking moderately/heavily, we decided to try and fry some of the caruncles. Like the beak, they are not palatable either.

I think that'll do! Actually, I've heard of guys missing turkeys at close range because of tight chokes. But that does remind me that I need to pattern my gun with the new loads I put together.
that's what my turkey partner said when he saw those two shots. 30 yards was obviously less tight, but still on target - which was nice since the wind was howling today

Looks like a winner to me. I always say, you can't eat the beak!

For the record, at a turkey camp with some buddies right after college, we filled out and while sitting around camp drinking moderately/heavily, we decided to try and fry some of the caruncles. Like the beak, they are not palatable either.
Butterflied and pounded 1/8” thickness followed by a light breading and deep fried in peanut oil smattered in a spicy lemon aioli with fresh cole slaw on a homemade tortilla…it still would taste like shit.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back