PEAX Equipment

2023 spring turkey!

Pressure cook them down and make turkey salad out of it. View attachment 266885
I need to expand my horizons, but love how I cook them up! Here’s how I process my turkey, I like to eat them better than hunt them and I love to chase gobblers through the woods.

1 breast fried cutlets
1 breast smoked and sliced.
Legs,thighs, wings hank shaw’s carnita recipe
Body meat, usually about 1 pound, mixed with bacon ends and make Cajun smoked Turkey burgers.
Carcass slow cook down into stock

I need to expand my horizons, but love how I cook them up! Here’s how I process my turkey, I like to eat them better than hunt them and I love to chase gobblers through the woods.

1 breast fried cutlets
1 breast smoked and sliced.
Legs,thighs, wings hank shaw’s carnita recipe
Body meat, usually about 1 pound, mixed with bacon ends and make Cajun smoked Turkey burgers.
Carcass slow cook down into stock

Sounds great too!

Why do you say that? I’ve never done the whole bird but they the breasts turn out great. I baste them with honey or pure maple syrup after about an hour.
Just harder to keep the meat from drying then a fat commercial bird. But I agree they come out just fine Ibrine mine for about 25 hours. I'm normally not a perfectionist but am picky about my bbq and my own worst critic.

Y
Yes sir. The "line" for subspecies is roughly 20 minutes south of me but I have duck hunting buddies that turkey hunt who regularly kill Osceolas in and around where I live. 20 minutes and a line drawn on a map never stopped wildlife.
If you ever want to trade an Iowa whitetail hunt for an Osceola hunt just let me know.

A buddy and I are headed back down to SE IL to hunt turkeys on public the 3rd weekend of April for the IL South Zone 2nd season. I've got a tag to hunt a north central IL county on private land open to hunting through the Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP) during the IL north Zone 4th Season during the 5th weekend of April. I've also got a county permit and am hoping to get awarded an IRAP site for a SW IL county for the IL North Zone 3rd season the 4th weekend of April. Lots of plans but we'll see if any result in a dead turkey.

Well, I dug out my mouth calls and threw away the bad ones. Made my annual call order. About a month of call practice and then the season will be here. We're currently in the phase Col. Tom Kelly calls "The Waiting".

Well, I dug out my mouth calls and threw away the bad ones. Made my annual call order. About a month of call practice and then the season will be here. We're currently in the phase Col. Tom Kelly calls "The Waiting".
Thanks for the reminder. I need to do that too. The turkeys were gobbling good this morning. I found 2 different groups of 3 or 4 Tom’s! Gets the blood boiling every time!

A buddy and I are headed back down to SE IL to hunt turkeys on public the 3rd weekend of April for the IL South Zone 2nd season. I've got a tag to hunt a north central IL county on private land open to hunting through the Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP) during the IL north Zone 4th Season during the 5th weekend of April. I've also got a county permit and am hoping to get awarded an IRAP site for a SW IL county for the IL North Zone 3rd season the 4th weekend of April. Lots of plans but we'll see if any result in a dead turkey.
I had a girl breakup with me once because she was going to SIU Carbondale and in April when I went down to see her one weekend I just put my stuff at her place, left to turkey hunt, mushroom hunt and crappie fish.

My daughter and I both drew tags for the early season this year. I've done well in the later general season but this should get us out there with fewer people. With as much snow as we have right now, we might be hunting in the white stuff, unless it really starts to warm up. I'll start scouting in about two weeks just to see if the birds are in their regular spots. Doesn't feel like spring, but fingers crossed.

Heading to Florida the 15th , it's getting ready for the season that's fun. Getting new videos reviewing the old. New equipment. Testing new shot and chocks and sights.
These guys are now 2 year olds.

Last edited:
I had a girl breakup with me once because she was going to SIU Carbondale and in April when I went down to see her one weekend I just put my stuff at her place, left to turkey hunt, mushroom hunt and crappie fish.
Sounds like you had your priorities right.

There’s been some turkey talk lately, but after March 1st it’s time to start scouting! So this wil be the official 2023 Spring turkey thread. Post your tips, tactics, plans, fails, and whatever else here!

My plans are as usual Iowa 1st and 4th seasons. 1st season is 4 days long April 10-13 and 4th season is April 26-May 14.

Last year I killed a Turkey about 20 feet off of @duckhunt’s new property on public land. I’ve already warned him if he sees a 2004 rusted out F150 stopped in his yard not to worry.

I hope to get to do a float turkey hunt again this year on a local river. Last year my schedule and COVID ruined that fun.

Press that follow button and let’s get started!

View attachment 266810
View attachment 266811
I'm in MT and there will be no scouting until at least April. Lots of snow and most of the birds are on private in the subdivisions or cattle feed yards. I'm excited but the wait is brutal and at the rate this weather is going it's gonna be cold on opening day which is usually the norm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back