Caribou Gear

2023 Garden!

Took a regional exploration trip through NE Montana last week. It hasn't been that green in years. Montana has been experiencing numerous rainy systems throughout.

With the vibrant blooming of the driveway flowery display, the deputy sheriff stopped by to say, "Could you tone it down as someone gawking at your flowers and greenery may drive off the road!"
Emoji

Driveway flowery display.jpg

If sure like some more details on those mixed veggies you've got canned there...
Prep the cucumbers some spears some chips then add to a jar with garlic, onions, and peppers. I add some mustard seeds, peppercorns, and dill as well. In a pot add 2 2/3 cup water, 1 1/3 vinegar(sometimes use rice vinegar), 2 tbsp kosher salt, 1tbsp peppercorns, 2tbsp pickling spice. Bring it to a boil then turn off ladel into jars while still hot. Nice to add a pickled pepper to a sandwich or onion to a taco plus best way to handle all the extra produce.

Pretty epic garlic haul today.

View attachment 281401
Nice haul!
Why did you pull it so early? I like to do the same with elephant garlic so I can slice whole bulbs similar to large onions instead of seperate cloves.
Just curious what your reasoning is.
And fyi, anybody who hasn't had fresh garlic is really missing out on its true taste.

Asparagus stalks ferned in the last 12 hours due to a heat wave, but its still delicious. We get 6-20 stalks minimum every fourth day from February through late July and then I let them fern through December.
Sweet banana peppers, Jalepenos, and crookneck squash.
Tumbling Tom tomatoes should ripen by the end of next week and produce heavily through October. 20230701_190420.jpg

Asparagus stalks ferned in the last 12 hours due to a heat wave, but its still delicious. We get 6-20 stalks minimum every fourth day from February through late July and then I let them fern through December.
Sweet banana peppers, Jalepenos, and crookneck squash.
Tumbling Tom tomatoes should ripen by the end of next week and produce heavily through October. View attachment 282228
Mine were basically done producing by June 1st nice while it lasted though.

Nice haul!
Why did you pull it so early? I like to do the same with elephant garlic so I can slice whole bulbs similar to large onions instead of seperate cloves.
Just curious what your reasoning is.
And fyi, anybody who hasn't had fresh garlic is really missing out on its true taste.
Planted it in November and the bottom leaves were starting to die back. Had a couple bulbs starting to get soft, so was actually thinking I should have pulled it about a week sooner, before we had several days of rain.

Speaking of fresh garlic, one of my favorite meals is sautéed garlic scapes and a seared elk steak!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back