2022 Wyoming Bull Bison

How old do you guys think that bull is guys? Is he in his mating prime of 6-10 years old or is he an old patriarch of 15+? He is just massive.

How old do you guys think that bull is guys? Is he in his mating prime of 6-10 years old or is he an old patriarch of 15+? He is just massive.
Successful hunters have to submit a tooth sample to WGFD so I will let you know this winter when I get the results back.

My guess is 10+ given he was the first or second bull to make it up this valley after the rut. Everything I have heard/read indicates the biggest, oldest, bulls go back to wandering first after the rut but we will see.

Congrats on taking a grand old bull! Also, congrats on tipping him over in a very good location as they are no joke when the work begins.

Question, were you able to catch one of those TTSX bullets? Curious on how those big coppers held up at close range.

Again, thumbs up on a great bull!
Yes I did recover a bullet and then lost it after we looked at it and set it down.

I can confirm that bullet lost no petals or showed any signs other than perfect performance. Not sure about the other 3 but 1 did go straight through the shoulder so guessing it may have lost a petal as any bullet would do on a bone like that.

Congratulations on an iconic animal!
Your taxidermist is going to have his work cut out for him if he's doing a shoulder mount.
Trust me I know, I have mounted one.

Congrats on taking a grand old bull! Also, congrats on tipping him over in a very good location as they are no joke when the work begins.

Question, were you able to catch one of those TTSX bullets? Curious on how those big coppers held up at close range.

Again, thumbs up on a great bull!
During processing we found 2 more bullets lodged under the opposite side shoulder. That makes 3 we found out of 4. Not sure any passed through but the right shoulder bone (a massive bone I might add) was thoroughly destroyed due to 2 shots entering there.

As expected, one lost some petals but the other stayed intact after mushrooming. Not sure you could ask for much more from a bullet on such a big animal but I could be wrong.

F0DF1FB6-D157-445D-A051-D69A371D5563.jpeg

During processing we found 2 more bullets lodged under the opposite side shoulder. That makes 3 we found out of 4. Not sure any passed through but the right shoulder bone (a massive bone I might add) was thoroughly destroyed due to 2 shots entering there.

As expected, one lost some petals but the other stayed intact after mushrooming. Not sure you could ask for much more from a bullet on such a big animal but I could be wrong.

View attachment 244874
Did you weight those?

So as I am getting on with the massive task of skinning and removing meat, I hear some bells coming down the trail. It confuses me at first, and then I realize someone is hiking and those are bear bells. Finally a woman appears and the conversation goes as follows:

Hiking woman: “have you seen a bison?”
Me: “yes”
Hiking woman: “which way did he go?”
Me: “he started over there and came over my direction.”
Hiking woman: “am I safe to continue down the trail?”
Me: “yes he won’t be bothering you anymore.”
Hiking woman (as she gets a clearer view of what I am doing): “what’s that?”
Me: “a bison.”
Hiking woman: “what did you do to it?”
Me: “I shot it…I have a tag!!”
Hiking woman: “ok bye.”

Caped for a half body mount. Incredible hair on head, shoulders, and legs.
Some people are clueless.

Awesome bull and that had to be a daunting task when you started working on him. Processing a big bull elk by yourself is a chore, but a bison or moose completely different beast. Way to go.

So as I am getting on with the massive task of skinning and removing meat, I hear some bells coming down the trail. It confuses me at first, and then I realize someone is hiking and those are bear bells. Finally a woman appears and the conversation goes as follows:

Hiking woman: “have you seen a bison?”
Me: “yes”
Hiking woman: “which way did he go?”
Me: “he started over there and came over my direction.”
Hiking woman: “am I safe to continue down the trail?”
Me: “yes he won’t be bothering you anymore.”
Hiking woman (as she gets a clearer view of what I am doing): “what’s that?”
Me: “a bison.”
Hiking woman: “what did you do to it?”
Me: “I shot it…I have a tag!!”
Hiking woman: “ok bye.”

Caped for a half body mount. Incredible hair on head, shoulders, and legs.
I would’ve been so tempted to be like, “excuse me ma’am, before you leave would you mind pulling back on this while I get this knife around here real quick…”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back