2022 Toyota Tundra

Test drove a Tundra last night. The main thing I didnt like compared to an F150 is the sightlines out of it seem to be notably narrower. It might have helped if I raised the seat a bit but my head felt pretty close to the ceiling already. I feel like transmission smoothness and expected resale value/reliability are the only things it really does better than an F150, everything else I would care about seems to favor an F150.

Let me know if you find something.

I used the remote start a few times when I first bought the truck a couple months ago just to try it out. About a month ago I unsubscribed from their connected services. Then I recently tried the remote start (key fob) and it will not function. The article someone dug up for me on the tundra forum was dated but said it was part of the subscription. And everything I've found says the same.

If its just a malfunction on my vehicle's end then I owe the toyota exec's and their ancestors/families/pets some apologies because I've ben cursing them all day.

I'm curious about how being subscribed to the connected services impacts what info from your truck/travels is available. It may not be a lot of $ but it does chap my ass they'd do some bullshit like that. That is one of the main reasons I might look elsewhere.

Test drove a Tundra last night. The main thing I didnt like compared to an F150 is the sightlines out of it seem to be notably narrower. It might have helped if I raised the seat a bit but my head felt pretty close to the ceiling already. I feel like transmission smoothness and expected resale value/reliability are the only things it really does better than an F150, everything else I would care about seems to favor an F150.

I'm curious about how being subscribed to the connected services impacts what info from your truck/travels is available. It may not be a lot of $ but it does chap my ass they'd do some bullshit like that. That is one of the main reasons I might look elsewhere.
I should do some more digging, but my understanding on the connected services is that the subscription is the "user agreement" that allows them to collect, package, and sell your information to 3rd parties. There are varying "levels" of the connected services. Toyota recently extended the free trial for the "basic" package to 10 years now. To my knowledge this base package doesn't do much for the user other than maintenence reminders (no remote start), but I bet Toyota makes alot of money selling your data without actually providing a services in return for the "free" subscription. They can all get ass cancer as far as I'm concerned.

I've been a member on a new model Tundra facebook group for a while. Everyone that owns one is getting lousy fuel economy. The whole twin turbo v6 thing sounds great in theory, and they produce a lot of power, but the reported fuel economy average is 13-14 city and like 18 highway. v8s have been doing that since the 90s? I would never want to own a truck like that long term. How is the composite bed going to hold up? How is the long-term reliability going to be with turbos, intercooler, and all the tech on these things? Imagine what its going to cost to repair 10 years from now. If I were someone I would look for a base model new F250 with the 7.3 godzilla gas motor. Great power, simple and reliable engine design, solid front axle, more aftermarket.

I honestly don’t get people and truck fuel economy. I have a ’16 Tundra 1794 4x4 and average 16.0 over 86,000 miles. My tires are Michelin 18” LTX AT2. Mildly off-road Bias at best.

Geez, I drive pretty normal…16 mpg on a 6,000# vehicle with a V8. I just don’t get how people get such lousy mileage unless they’ve done something to the vehicle.

I honestly don’t get people and truck fuel economy. I have a ’16 Tundra 1794 4x4 and average 16.0 over 86,000 miles. My tires are Michelin 18” LTX AT2. Mildly off-road Bias at best.

Geez, I drive pretty normal…16 mpg on a 6,000# vehicle with a V8. I just don’t get how people get such lousy mileage unless they’ve done something to the vehicle.
Toyota should have kept the Tundra like the one you have now. The marketing push is that with the twin turbo v6 like Ford that you will get better fuel economy. It just isnt the case, I'll take a reliable v8 all day every day.

I've been a member on a new model Tundra facebook group for a while. Everyone that owns one is getting lousy fuel economy. The whole twin turbo v6 thing sounds great in theory, and they produce a lot of power, but the reported fuel economy average is 13-14 city and like 18 highway. v8s have been doing that since the 90s? I would never want to own a truck like that long term. How is the composite bed going to hold up? How is the long-term reliability going to be with turbos, intercooler, and all the tech on these things? Imagine what its going to cost to repair 10 years from now. If I were someone I would look for a base model new F250 with the 7.3 godzilla gas motor. Great power, simple and reliable engine design, solid front axle, more aftermarket.
Had one on order cancelled it after the overwhelmibg negative press..bought a F250 super crew 6.7 4x4

I should do some more digging, but my understanding on the connected services is that the subscription is the "user agreement" that allows them to collect, package, and sell your information to 3rd parties. There are varying "levels" of the connected services. Toyota recently extended the free trial for the "basic" package to 10 years now. To my knowledge this base package doesn't do much for the user other than maintenence reminders (no remote start), but I bet Toyota makes alot of money selling your data without actually providing a services in return for the "free" subscription. They can all get ass cancer as far as I'm concerned.

I ended up buying a new F150. When I picked it up they asked me to download the My Ford app and sign some use agreement. Basically the My Ford App lets you use cellular signal to start your pickup from anywhere as long as the truck has cell reception. Signing up for this also gets you discounts on oil changes and such at the dealership. So ford is basically doing something similar but the difference is you can still remote start when within range with the damn key fob without signing their user agreement for the app.

Part of me thinks I'll regret the ford decision 6+ years down the road but I just like how the new f150s drive and how everything is laid out in the cab.

My brother ordered one and it was apparently built last Saturday. I’m curious to check it out. He’s getting some type of awful dealer graphics package put on it. I’m sure it will be a great pavement princess for him

I have had my 2023 Tundra for about 6 weeks now and LOVE it. I had a 2007 5.7 Tundra. Only time will answer the reliability question but I have had toyotas since 1984 and just couldn't bring myself to look at anything else with the luck I've had over 36 years and direct experience with over a dozen yotas, cars and pickups. Regarding mileage, I've ran 5 tanks of gas through it so far and calculated my mpg each time with a calculator. 16.2, 16.5, 17, 18.2 and 19 in that order. This was mostly highway miles, probably 30% city, some 4 wheel drive in deep snow and on icy roads (goose hunting)

69454040823__778E13BE-DBE6-4DC6-A1CE-8A8652F736FA.jpg

Toyota should have kept the Tundra like the one you have now. The marketing push is that with the twin turbo v6 like Ford that you will get better fuel economy. It just isnt the case, I'll take a reliable v8 all day every day.
I've still been looking for a family truck to replace my single cab 05 silverado. The 5.7 tundras looks to be the best replacement for it's simplicity and reliability like my current truck. Ever since gm added the active fuel management system to the 5.3 they destroyed the solid reputation of that motor, which leads me to get away from gm 1/2 ton trucks.

It's a bummer Toyota followed the trend of the other manufacturers adding more tech and complicated systems to such a reliable platform. My silverado has 205k on it and all I've ever replaced is fluids, brakes and a water pump since 2005. It's currently become my work truck for my welding business since last year and I know I can depend on it every day.

I'm sure Toyota will manage to get all this in gear in a year or two. One thing I am constantly reminded of: COVID did a real number on a lot of things, including development of new products and distribution of parts.

I'm going to wait a couple years to let this all get ironed out before really deciding. I truly have a hard time upgrading just on the thought of "fuel economy".

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back