2022 Heritage Season

Are you planning to hunt the heritage season?

• Yes. I’m an experienced traditionalist

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Yes. This is my first time.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • No. I have better things to do.

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • No. I think the season is wrong.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • No. The general big game season in MT was aweful. I can’t take anymore beatdowns.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • No. My tags are all filled.

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters

rogerthat

Who is going to go run a round ball through the guts of a wintering Canuck buck or bull on winter range? I may go see what this is all about and try to take a cow elk.

I have a mule deer doe tag I might try to fill. I’m not sure how tough it will be after they have been chased with a rifle for 6 weeks

I couldn’t even bring myself to hunt deer the last week of general season because I was feeling so discouraged about how much pressure they face from so many hunters for so long.

At what point is it time to tip your hat to the survivors and wish them good health and survival till another year?

Well?? I didn't participate in the above poll but will answer @rogerthat 's question.

Yes, I will be hunting every day of the second annual "Heritage" season. But this year will be a private land only hunt! I plan on setting up camp on Friday and enjoying a week of solitude that the hunt will hopefully bring. Might even set out some steel to really get into the "Heritage" of the season.

I'm really looking forward to the hunt and shooting some critter is going to be low on my priority list.

I plan on hunting the entire season. I did last year also and never fired a shot. When they implemented this season I stuck my rifle in the gun case and don’t rifle hunt my home state anymore. It was nice just not seeing people all over now I just wish they would go to pick your weapon and I’ll have a 9 day hunting season in Montana and it’ll open up the rest of the fall for all the other out of state hunts I do

What is the Heritage Season ?
We have to use old school muzzy a big side hammer on it no scopes loose powder and a lead bullet. Basically I have to actually hunt instead of adjust the scope on my prc. I had fun with it last year was hoping to be over 160” with it never found anything so I never loaded the gun

Jury is out.
I need a new nipple for my .50 cal.
Couldn't find anything local, and put off ordering until the last minute. Received two options yesterday, neither which fit properly.
Two gambles..hunt with the one I have, or send it off to see if Dixie can match it and return the proper replacement...in time.
Still have a doe tag, but would rather hunt for a cow.
Big question is where.

Jury is out.
I need a new nipple for my .50 cal.
Couldn't find anything local, and put off ordering until the last minute. Received two options yesterday, neither which fit properly.
Two gambles..hunt with the one I have, or send it off to see if Dixie can match it and return the proper replacement...in time.
Still have a doe tag, but would rather hunt for a cow.
Big question is where.
What pitch do you need?

What pitch do you need?
Good question. I took the nipple to the hardware store to try threading it into different fine thread nuts, both standard and metric. Nothing fit.
What I do know is .250 and .245-28 were too large.
I'm pretty certain I replaced the nipple once prior but a long time ago. No idea.
Nipple comes off an Italian .50 cal kit gun, circa late 80's.
The rifle has an "I" stamped indicating the company (which no longer is in business).
Clearly picking nipples randomly online isn't a sure thing. The original in the pic is the smallest nipple.
Guessing I should just send it in.
20221204_170308.jpg20221204_170828.jpg20221204_171734.jpg

I plan on hunting the entire season. I did last year also and never fired a shot. When they implemented this season I stuck my rifle in the gun case and don’t rifle hunt my home state anymore. It was nice just not seeing people all over now I just wish they would go to pick your weapon and I’ll have a 9 day hunting season in Montana and it’ll open up the rest of the fall for all the other out of state hunts I do
Welcome. To Hunttalk. mtmuley

Thanks been lurking awhile just never really commented I do agree with a lot of what you have said in these other posts on our deer issue. My wife loves and hates this because now im home for 6 weeks instead of walking the rifle around but she hates me being gone this close to Christmas
Good question. I took the nipple to the hardware store to try threading it into different fine thread nuts, both standard and metric. Nothing fit.
I'm pretty certain I replaced the nipple once prior but a long time ago. No idea.
The rifle has an "I" stamped indicating the company (which no longer is in business).
Clearly picking nipples randomly online isn't a sure thing. The original in the pic is the smallest nipple.
View attachment 253611View attachment 253614View attachment 253620
if it was me I think I would grab a traditions nipple probably get one at sportsman’s and run it down to a smith and have the hole retreaded for the new nipple maybe even upgrade it to a musket nipple get some more fire

Thanks been lurking awhile just never really commented I do agree with a lot of what you have said in these other posts on our deer issue. My wife loves and hates this because now im home for 6 weeks instead of walking the rifle around but she hates me being gone this close to Christmas

if it was me I think I would grab a traditions nipple probably get one at sportsman’s and run it down to a smith and have the hole retreaded for the new nipple maybe even upgrade it to a musket nipple get some more fire
I had that thought for the off season.
It would sure simplify replacement in the future.
Upgrading for better spark hadn't crossed my mind...but I like it.
Thanks for the input.

The musket cap speed loaders are much nicer to use over the no11 also
I had that thought for the off season.
It would sure simplify replacement in the future.
Upgrading for better spark hadn't crossed my mind...but I like it.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Hem
I’m tagged out but the kids got a tag or two left, thinking I might mount a arca rail to a traditions Kentucky smoke pole, slap it on a tripod and rattle on some whitetails, maybe hit the Ennis flats. Anyone know where we can get a beaver or coon skin cap?

View attachment 253611View attachment 253614View attachment 253620
Call the track of the wolf and give them the info on your rifle. They may be able to tell you what the size is, and I bet they have it in stock. I've bought from them several times and they are great to deal with and ship fast. Good luck.

Order by Telephone:
Call 763-633-2500. Talk to our knowledgeable staff. We will take your order, check stock on hand, quote our best prices, answer technical questions, confirm that your choice of parts will work well together, or suggest alternate parts for better fit, lower cost, or faster delivery. Tell us your plans, and ask for our suggestions.

Reactions: Hem
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back