PEAX Equipment

2022 CO deer w/ goats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck-Slayer

I’m starting the process of researching a few units in CO to draw with 0, maybe 1 preference point. Anyone out there willing too chat with me about possible units would be greatly appreciated. I prefer units that I can get 8+ miles from the nearest road. I do have a couple in mind, but not really going to post those units on a forum 😜.... I usually do all my own research and such, with CO having as many hunters as it does and a few are on HT regularly. Should I add the “mandatory” “not looking for honey holes” 😂😂😂😂
Matt

Be aware that pack goat use is prohibited in the Rio Grande National Forest portion of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to protect bighorn sheep. They're also prohibited in the BLM's Dominguez-Escalante NCA, but that's not likely a potential destination for you.

Be aware that pack goat use is prohibited in the Rio Grande National Forest portion of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to protect bighorn sheep. They're also prohibited in the BLM's Dominguez-Escalante NCA, but that's not likely a potential destination for you.
I am aware NAPGA was fighting that BS....
Matt

I suggest keeping goats at home. They are potentially dangerous to bighorns and a pain to deal with. A boned out mule deer can be taken out, with a camp, in one trip by a single guy...or two comfortable trips. Just my two cents.

I suggest keeping goats at home. They are potentially dangerous to bighorns and a pain to deal with. A boned out mule deer can be taken out, with a camp, in one trip by a single guy...or two comfortable trips. Just my two cents.
You do not know me or my situation thanks, show me scientific proof..... there is none, I’ve posted on this subject many times! with scientific evidence! If you think goats are the cause of the decline in bighorns you are sadly mistaken. This is not the intention of this particular thread!
Matt

Last edited:
You do not know me or my situation thanks, show me scientific proof..... there is none, I’ve posted on this subject many times! with scientific evidence! If you think goats are the cause of the decline in bighorns you are sadly mistaken. This is not the intention of this particular thread!
Matt

That's fair. I did not know that. I have a hard time understanding how they are worth the trouble on something like a deer versus an elk. A boned deer, skull and and camp can be packed out in a single trip. Either way, good luck on your hunt.

I think getting advice on zero or one point units is a bit tough. I have none to give because I have no experience there, but I think often those are the units people like to not share on forums usually.

That's fair. I did not know that. I have a hard time understanding how they are worth the trouble on something like a deer versus an elk. A deer and camp can be packed out at once. Either way, good luck on your hunt.

I think getting advice on zero or one point units is a bit tough. I have none but I think often those are the unit people like to not out on forums usually.
This is a once in a lifetime hunt for me. This is what I love to do, velvet mulies in the high country! Just wanting to do it while I can in the Liberal state of CO! I grew up following Dwight, South, Cam, etc.... before they were what they are now. I bet most people had no idea who they were in the mid 90’s.....
Matt

This is a once in a lifetime hunt for me. This is what I love to do, velvet mulies in the high country! Just wanting to do it while I can in the Liberal state of CO! I grew up following Dwight, South, Cam, etc.... before they were what they are now. I bet most people had no idea who they were in the mid 90’s.....
Matt
Look at the DMxxxE1R hunts.

A lot of these come up on the leftover list if you’re willing to fly by the seat of your pants a bit.

Matt
That is cool. I hope you can have a nice hunt. A high country CO hunt sounds like a fun way to spend a week...and CO has a lot of big deer hidden away. I hope you connect.

Leave your goats at home, and I'll give you a unit you can hunt year after year for velvet mulies.
Just for reference, Matt has a messed up back and can't carry over 20lbs. That's why he uses the goats. Also they are awesome and are really nice when you have two deer down 10 miles from the closest road. 119010038_10219049380968579_228636604689583359_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back