MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2021 Spring Bear Thread

Me n my buddies son r taking my 8yo grandson out in a couple weeks, grandson has been saying since he could damn near talk, “I think I’m going to shoot me a big ole bear today” Hard to do in SW Texas!! He’s too young to get a license but none the less we r taking him along for the ride! Made a deal w him, if he bucked up n did good on this online learning crap, papa was going to take him “big ole bear” hunting.
we r going to do it up for him to make it as “easy” as can be being his first mountain adventure; horses/mules/wall tents n all.
Going to go by Maudess/Smith/n Jackie Creek area so, we can get some fishing in as well.
Looking at probably 5 actual days in the field if anyone has some recent or usable intel from out there, it would be much appreciated. Flying out to Helena on the 13th
Good luck to all!

Hunting locally Oregon SW tag. Had my first opportunity after 5 nights after it. Spotted him 1.5 miles away with my binos, Had an hour and 20 minutes of legal light so I had to go. Jogged very fast the mile to my vehicle drove a few miles and had a 1.5-mile hike to get to him. Miraculously pop out 100 yards above him in the bottom of hellish verticle clear cut. Take my time, had buck fever bad after being alone, first bear, being 17, and thinking about him for a while, and shot felt good, but went over his back. I had a bad rest due to the angle and it just wasn't meant to be. Should get more opportunities this weekend finally found the best spot I have seen. Good luck to all some nice bears already!

I'm wrapping up a four day bear hunt...

Bear fever had my hunt partner and I cheering for any stump to move. Unfortunately, no bueno - like this stump glance stepping over an upper bench.

20210430_193858.jpg

Saw a bunch of elk, too many deer to count, "You see the size of that chicken?!!??!?!" (grouse - quote tribute to "Young Guns")... about everything unable to hunt we saw in quantity.

Life... always amazing adventures! Today was an R&R drive and scout. Nodda bear. Meh, another day.
Days prior... ass whooped hikes.

I'm wrapping up a four day bear hunt...

Bear fever had my hunt partner and I cheering for any stump to move. Unfortunately, no bueno - like this stump glance stepping over an upper bench.

View attachment 182388

Saw a bunch of elk, too many deer to count, "You see the size of that chicken?!!??!?!" (grouse - quote tribute to "Young Guns")... about everything unable to hunt we saw in quantity.

Life... always amazing adventures! Today was an R&R drive and scout. Nodda bear. Meh, another day.
Days prior... ass whooped hikes.
How is that not a bear. Lol

I completely screwed up this morning! First time this year i decided to pack a rifle and went looking for bears before i start shed hunting. 5 mins into hunt monster solid black gave me a decent shot in wide open sage country, waiting for better broadside angle i never got bear went over a hill. I quickly went further up hill to get better wind and cut him off and he wasnt there.?... i guess be dropped into a ditch and went lower into creek bottom 1/2 mile south cause i could see forever and never seen him again. After waiting for hour i moved on found a new bear within 15 minutes unfortunately it was a BIG grizz so shifted hunt direction. Try again tomorrow....

Last edited:
Hunting locally Oregon SW tag. Had my first opportunity after 5 nights after it. Spotted him 1.5 miles away with my binos, Had an hour and 20 minutes of legal light so I had to go. Jogged very fast the mile to my vehicle drove a few miles and had a 1.5-mile hike to get to him. Miraculously pop out 100 yards above him in the bottom of hellish verticle clear cut. Take my time, had buck fever bad after being alone, first bear, being 17, and thinking about him for a while, and shot felt good, but went over his back. I had a bad rest due to the angle and it just wasn't meant to be. Should get more opportunities this weekend finally found the best spot I have seen. Good luck to all some nice bears already!
Good luck when you get back out there! Persistence pays off!

So found these in spot i chassed nice black bear yesterday so went to plan b. Plan b found a nice solid black feeding on a ridge about 10am, then i proceeded to shot over the bear, complete wiff! I made sure and did the hunters walk of shame..nothing. The best thing about bear hunting is i dont mind a clean miss, just find another in day or 2 but seems like this years bear season is eventful yet disappointing clown show....it will change soon!
Added: its may 7th and i have seen 1% of the entire grizz population of the greater yellowstone ecosystem....thinking the count may be off by a few!
05-07-2021-06-05-07.jpg

Last edited:
So found these in spot i chassed nice black bear yesterday so went to plan b. Plan b found a nice solid black feeding on a ridge about 10am, then i proceeded to shot over the bear, complete wiff! I made sure and did the hunters walk of shame..nothing. The best thing about bear hunting is i dont mind a clean miss, just find another in day or 2 but seems like this years bear season is eventful yet disappointing clown show....it will change soon!
View attachment 182669
That makes me feel better.

Back