Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2021 Southeast Idaho Elk

Awesome thread! Congrats on all the success and memories made…y’all had quite the fall.

Wow, great read. Not sure how I missed this earlier. Congrats to you and your family on a great elk season.

This is really awesome. Congrats. Very inspirational story.

I connected with your story a few levels. My Dad is 73 and has been showing early signs of Dementia for last several years. Aricept seems to be keeping it at bay for past year, for that I'm grateful.

I hunted Diamond Creek for the OTC archery season (4) times from 2007-2011. Some of the best hunting memories of my life. So I've only spent 4 weeks of my life in that area, but I can totally get your love of the land. Wish I didn't have to drive 1900 miles to get there, lol! Kids came along and I haven't been able to get back unfortunately.

I also have an 11 year old who is an up and comer hunter, having shot several deer and turkey already. A few more years for him to mature a little and I'm hoping to get back in the Elk game with him. Wish Diamond Creek archery was like the old days when you could get an OTC tag in August.

Congrats again.

P1080033.JPG

This is really awesome. Congrats. Very inspirational story.

I connected with your story a few levels. My Dad is 73 and has been showing early signs of Dementia for last several years. Aricept seems to be keeping it at bay for past year, for that I'm grateful.

I hunted Diamond Creek for the OTC archery season (4) times from 2007-2011. Some of the best hunting memories of my life. So I've only spent 4 weeks of my life in that area, but I can totally get your love of the land. Wish I didn't have to drive 1900 miles to get there, lol! Kids came along and I haven't been able to get back unfortunately.

I also have an 11 year old who is an up and comer hunter, having shot several deer and turkey already. A few more years for him to mature a little and I'm hoping to get back in the Elk game with him. Wish Diamond Creek archery was like the old days when you could get an OTC tag in August.

Congrats again.

View attachment 210652
Thank you. If you and your boy ever make it out this way again let me know, I'd love to go wander through the diamond creel elk woods with you and help you pack something out.

That would be awesome. I'm guessing it will be 3 or 4 years before I see my son being able to handle the physical aspect of a self supported bivy hunt. One of the hardest part for someone coming from afar to plan for is when the animal hits the dirt if you are successful. Took me 3 years of close calls before we finally connected. My brother-in law and I back packed out my only kill (small 5x5) in 2011 from a hell hole....was the hardest physical thing I ever did, but also one of the most rewarding. I had talked to the outfitter there a few times about hiring him to pack, but he was a hard guy to get ahold of so I never wanted to rely on that option. Understandable that was his busy time and rightfully so DIY guys not his priority. I was pretty sure I heard he passed away and his son was taking over...so will need to investigate that option again.

PS....Did anyone ever reopen the Cheesburger Factory in Alpine? I got to be causal friends with the owner....he was such an awesome guy. After a week in the back country bivy hunting, was that source of extra motivation dreaming of those burgers...LOL. When he heard about our kill.....he gave me a tree limb slice with an Elk laser engraved that says Elkoholic.....I took the family on a road trip to Yellowstone in 2019 and we swung through Apline.... was very sad to see it closed, especially after talking it up for 30 hours in the van..:D

Can anyone recommend a good game processor for this area?
I see Woodcock Custom Meat (W, Rexburg, ID) has the best reviews. The rest scare me.....
Thanks in advance

Can anyone recommend a good game processor for this area?
I see Woodcock Custom Meat (W, Rexburg, ID) has the best reviews. The rest scare me.....
Thanks in advance
Rexburg is going to be quite a ways out of the way of this area, unless you're heading North. I know there are some in Afton I can't make any recommendations, because we do all of our own processing.

Great write up and congrats on the quality time and hunts with the kids, and first rate storytelling . Stellar stuff.

Just scouted a different area of SE Idaho for moose 4 days last weekend and loved it. Beautiful country.

Great write up and congrats on the quality time and hunts with the kids, and first rate storytelling . Stellar stuff.

Just scouted a different area of SE Idaho for moose 4 days last weekend and loved it. Beautiful country.
I'm glad to hear another Hunt Talker drew an Idaho Moose tag. Maybe one of these years someone in my house will be able to draw one. Have you figured out when you're going to hunt for yours?

I'm glad to hear another Hunt Talker drew an Idaho Moose tag. Maybe one of these years someone in my house will be able to draw one. Have you figured out when you're going to hunt for yours?
Bull. opening day Aug 30 to Sept 4. and then the rut Sept 23 or so till Oct 15ish
if that does not get it done squeeze in a few days in Nov.

If you know folks who know the hunt and the water please connect us.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back