2021 Hunt Plans

That time of the year when I start planning on 2021 hunts. I am fully retired so it will not be as robust as 2020 hunt was.

Antelope - Putting in for Type 1 any antelope, plus type 6 and trying for as many leftovers as I can get. I tagged out on antelope in 2020 and love the meat. This likely to be my first hunt and depends on which area I draw.
Mule Deer - Putting in for Type 1 tag for area I know to hold bucks and does that can be hunted, have not thought out alternatives yet if I do not draw, but definitely want a muley next year buck or doe (meat). Also putting in for a couple type 6 licenses and if any leftovers for my area, I will definitely try to scarf them up.
Elk - Hunting on general
Moose - putting in but don't expect to draw but looking to get preference points
Bear - plan to have general tag just in case, but not actively hunting one based on what I learned from the 2020 hunts for the area I hunted elk
Small game, plan to increase the number of times I go out for rabbits and grouse.
Fishing - Elk hunt will also involve some fishing time. I caught some massive wild rainbows on some BLM land and going back for more

Still hope to find a fishing and hunting partner that can do most of the hunts with me. Ideally one that is not tied to a lot of booze. Don't mind drinking at camp once guns are unloaded and put away but during the hunt and when yer driving makes me nervous. I only drink beer myself and only at camp after hunt is over for the day.
What are the type 1 and 6?

That time of the year when I start planning on 2021 hunts. I am fully retired so it will not be as robust as 2020 hunt was.

Antelope - Putting in for Type 1 any antelope, plus type 6 and trying for as many leftovers as I can get. I tagged out on antelope in 2020 and love the meat. This likely to be my first hunt and depends on which area I draw.
Mule Deer - Putting in for Type 1 tag for area I know to hold bucks and does that can be hunted, have not thought out alternatives yet if I do not draw, but definitely want a muley next year buck or doe (meat). Also putting in for a couple type 6 licenses and if any leftovers for my area, I will definitely try to scarf them up.
Elk - Hunting on general
Moose - putting in but don't expect to draw but looking to get preference points
Bear - plan to have general tag just in case, but not actively hunting one based on what I learned from the 2020 hunts for the area I hunted elk
Small game, plan to increase the number of times I go out for rabbits and grouse.
Fishing - Elk hunt will also involve some fishing time. I caught some massive wild rainbows on some BLM land and going back for more

Still hope to find a fishing and hunting partner that can do most of the hunts with me. Ideally one that is not tied to a lot of booze. Don't mind drinking at camp once guns are unloaded and put away but during the hunt and when yer driving makes me nervous. I only drink beer myself and only at camp after hunt is over for the day.
Lets do it!!!

Everybody here seems to know where they gonna draw this season ,am i missing anything?
No. You just do your research on draw odds, buy points, and then make educated guesses based on how many points it took to draw the last couple of years. A lot of hunters on here put in for a draw after having some “insurance” of an extra PP or 3 of what a draw is anticipated to require to make planning a bit more predictable.

Mine is simple - my first draw is in May where I have one tag at ~13% odds, and another at ~35% odds. In June I have 2-4 more draws in which I anticipate draw odds of ~80%, and 100% (x3). If somehow all of this fails I have a final backup plan of an OTC tag that is sold in unlimited quantity, so one way or another I’m going on a out-of-state hunting trip.

No. You just do your research on draw odds, buy points, and then make educated guesses based on how many points it took to draw the last couple of years. A lot of hunters on here put in for a draw after having some “insurance” of an extra PP or 3 of what a draw is anticipated to require to make planning a bit more predictable.

Mine is simple - my first draw is in May where I have one tag at ~13% odds, and another at ~35% odds. In June I have 2-4 more draws in which I anticipate draw odds of ~80%, and 100% (x3). If somehow all of this fails I have a final backup plan of an OTC tag that is sold in unlimited quantity, so one way or another I’m going on a out-of-state hunting trip.
Thanks thats helpful

2021... just spend more days afield. Most likely will not get much out of state opportunity. But even if I can branch out and maybe hit up the GA mountains or middle GA. To break up the season, hunting mostly on the coast.

maybe a MD Sitka deer hunt (that’s my wild card)

putting in for some moose permits in New England (VT,NH,ME).

2022 is my western hunt goal!

I don’t possibly know how all of you guys could find the time to do that many hunts in one year! First elk hunt coming up this fall

I'm primarily hunting in Alabama for deer and pigs. Deer season runs into early February and pigs can be hunted all year. Small game season goes until early March. Turkey season is in March and April.

I went to Kentucky back in November for archery deer hunting but the weather turned warm and no bucks large enough came within range. I've considered going to Ohio in the Fall but may go to Costa Rica for deep sea fishing instead.

I may get back into a lease I was in a couple of years ago. Otherwise, I hunt public land.
Is the public land Alabama good? i’m driving to my Dads in South carolina from Colorado this december and I was thinking about stopping for a couple days to hunt the wilderness in zone D.

I will put in for MT draws and be disappointed when I don’t even draw the ones that seem like gimmes. I am likely to get an antelope tag given my every 2nd or 3rd year history in drawing. I’m going to go spring bear hunting with my buddy but really just more to get outside, I don’t really care to shoot one but I hope we can find him one.

I don’t possibly know how all of you guys could find the time to do that many hunts in one year! First elk hunt coming up this fall
Why is august-december a long time? I once took a job, during interview i told them sept/october was no bueno for working they understood and then we all talked about tags applied for. That worked for couple years till i needed more time off. Realized there was to many hunts out there to cram into 2 months, so i just went to being "retired"...lol

Is the public land Alabama good? i’m driving to my Dads in South carolina from Colorado this december and I was thinking about stopping for a couple days to hunt the wilderness in zone D.
Mariano, please forgive the late response. I've taken a break from the site and just now saw your post. How was your trip? Did you stop in Alabama?

As for the hunting on public land in Alabama... it can be difficult to find a good spot without prior scouting. I've been hunting the same tracts for 30 years and have gotten lucky enough to keep my interest.

-Brown bear 🐻 in Kodiak in April
-Kansas in November whitetails
-Alberta hopefully for Muley in November
Was going to NWT for caribou but moved to 2022 because of covid 🤬

Mid-March through April: Steelhead and trout
Late April through May: Bears
Late May through August: Halibut, Lingcod, salmon in the salt
Late July until we call a truce (I generally wind things down by Thanksgiving even though the season runs until the end of January): Sitka Blacktail
September and October: Ducks and geese between alpine deer and the rut.

Plus putting out the crap and shrimp traps.

Reactions: LCH
Goals:
March: work off winter fat
April: WI turkey
Spring/Summer (2021 goal): learn to fly fish, expand garden
May: likely MT bear
Sep: elk if decent tag or else MT unlimited, bow hunt WI whitetail half heartedly
Oct: strongly considering Apostle Islands muzzleloader hunt(!)
Nov: WI whitetail
Dec or Jan: likely AZ for deer/javelina
Wild cards: pulling a great tag in UT, NM, AZ, NV or ID (none counted on) + learn to waterfowl hunt
Just locked in Dall hunt for 2023 so spend time daydreaming as well

Newbie here. Just starting to venture outside of Arizona for applications and new states to hunt, but I finally drew a late rifle bull tag for unit 6A in Arizona with my dad. Anyone have any info on that unit? Haven't hunted elk in Arizona in almost 20 years.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back