2020 WY Deer w/ Packgoats

On our third year of packing with the goats. I knew the big white Saanen was going to be our lead goat so I named him Clyde in anticipation of the day we would come to a trail intersection and I could say, "Right turn, Clyde!"

I don't know why my wife says I watch too many Clint Eastwood movies.

The goats got me back up into the high country. A few years back a guy earning his 4th DUI hit me head-on at highway speeds, so I was laid up for awhile and just can't carry a 50-pound ruck up and down mountains anymore. But I can still hike all day while the goats schlep the gear. Plus you can take along a couple of comfort items for camp. I think they're an asset for most kinds of hunting. I don't do much bow hunting anymore, but I've heard a few guys say it seems like the sound of the goats feeding in the background helps when they're trying to bugle in a bull. Their eyes are better than mine and a lot of times I glass where they're looking and find game. Taking conditioning hikes in the sagebrush hills around home the pronghorns come out of the woodwork to check out the goats and we once had a mountain goat billy who was really curious about the two white Saanen and kept working closer and closer to us. Now that they know what they are, when elk come through camp each goat will give one soft bleat back to the cow talk and that's it. We give them the run of our 20 acres most every day and just watching them is year-round entertainment.

@Cav1 We are in the same boat, I got into goats because of some guy running a stop sign and messed me up good. So now I’m limited to less than 30lbs carrying and walk with a walking stick in the mountains. Been running my goats almost 7 years and love them. Now I got into the breeding aspect of pack goats too.
Matt

Awesome to read life's curveball cracked for a double +. Its unfortunate people take for granted their inexcusable actions may alter another person(s) life.

Matt has certainly built a following for his goat adventures. Always enjoyable to follow along.

I'm on the fence for pack goats myself. Beats dragging a sled, I think. :)

Thank you for the photos and updates! It’s fascinating seeing the goats in their gear and being out to work in this way. So glad they’re helping you get out there and improving your hunt. It’s really eye opening for me! Thank you!

I packed with goats for 4-5 years. I never got into breeding or a herd larger than 3. I loved them, although I didn’t quite go off the deep end as far as Matt or Warnke.

I’m now just starting to dip my toes into horses. However, I think goats are the answer for 95% of guys.

Went out this past weekend on an 16 mile get in shape trip with the goats. Got there late Friday and packed in 3 miles. Had a wide creek crossing within the first mile and got both boots wet 👎🏻.... pushed on and started to get sore feet, so I stopped and camped. Next morning my boots were still wet, no good. Pushed on for another 2 miles, stopped for lunch and put my flip flops on! Pushed up a side drainage just a hair shy of 3 miles. Than turned around and walked the 8 miles back to the truck, 11 miles in flip flops, was great for my feet! Stayed the night and drove back home Sunday. Hopefully going to get out again this weekend too!
Matt
3D88488A-F1D0-47E3-8F52-10013254222D.jpeg
Going in

16327816-EA94-4BB8-970F-729AB47B7744.jpeg
Fri night camp

92C6B090-C0B9-465A-AABF-D57A722D8BC2.jpeg
Glassing

2DEFE132-8D74-475C-84A3-997E643DCE72.jpeg

6EE74B9D-CEAE-46D3-B574-EC9DC69BDC0D.jpeg
Small 3x3

C64CA59E-8BA6-4D6E-981B-D5DB0774C3B4.jpegB928D3F9-1362-4EA9-A874-71DD7AE0C6CC.jpegB928D3F9-1362-4EA9-A874-71DD7AE0C6CC.jpegFBAD8140-2A43-4582-ABCD-388D73DF6D11.jpeg
739C1B26-A325-4C00-AAEE-FC5CCBDF48E0.jpeg

The wife and I like the Peak meals. There not quite as salty. The Chad Mendes Meals are new for me to try this year. I really like the Peak breakfast skillet! All the meals are ones that I really like and will eat. I will throw in a couple homemade burritos for the first 2-3 days also. For some reason only the chicken and dumplings MH don’t mess my bowels up. 😬
Matt

Picked up a 100qt. Cabelas’s polar cap cooler for our WY trip. Hopefully it will come back with 2 deer in it.
Matt

I have one of those coolers and I like it. I think it might be difficult to fit two deer in there tho... maybe boned out. Here’s a photo of my cooler with one bone-in Mule deer in and a couple frozen gallon water jugs. E498C8C5-F1DB-4B9A-83DC-38E90F4710C8.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back