Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2020 WY Deer w/ Packgoats

Thats awesome. How many days for the 59lb pack? Does that include your bow and binos? How much do you carry?

No that does not count my bow, pack, Binos, or harness. 10 days. I would probably trim it more if it was just me but having the goats I probably squeezed in some extra food.

Not just to the OP, but anyone interested in alt pack animals here, what about BLM burros? Figure those are proportionally cheap as goats to maintain and a burro can carry 100+ lbs. I come with the experience of having raised goats and llamas when I was younger so I know about their capabilities, mannerisms. I do not, however, claim any knowledge of burros and I’d greatly appreciate the insight of anyone with feral (BLM auction) equine experience.
I reckon a string of 3,4 burros trained to pack behind either a hunter on foot or a trusted horse/mule could take us beyond anywhere we could walk or ATV to in a hunt. Also, consider this, the Spanish came up and laterally into the future US and Canadian West with various equine specimens for packing, right? My presumption is that those Churro sheep and Iberian-type goats were not intended to be pack animals, but wool/leather/milk/meat creatures. I know that NOTHING ELSE packs weight to scale much as a goat. They’re rugged bastards. But we are not interested in a versatile creature that we can also use to eat and make clothing. So there it is, with that logic, why not burros?

@Benfromalbuquerque i don’t know nothing about burros! I assume you need to shoe them??? Added expense! I assume they eat more, added expense??? I assume they do not browse and are grazers same as horses??? I assume they need lots of water being a equine animal??? I assume you can’t bully them around like a goat??? I assume they don’t follow you like a lost puppy??? I assume you can’t raise them in your backyard??? There are my assumptions why they are not used more. All those assumptions add more work and money into the overall equation.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back