MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2020 September Moon Phase Elk Rut

TN VOL

Hey guys..I’ve been looking at the moon phases for this fall. I’m a new elk hunter and will be possibly going on first archery elk hunt if we draw. I see there’s a full moon on Sept 1st and full moon on October 1st. Does anyone know how this will effect bulls being vocal and cows coming into estrus? I know weather plays a factor as well. Will cows be coming into heat the first week of September? Trying to plan my hunt since I can’t hunt the whole month of September.. with this moon phase which part of September could possibly be the most productive hunt where you can call bulls into bow range? Thanks for any info!!

In my experience, moon phase has been about the last of my concerns. I think it’s something that has been rather overhyped and that the elk think about it a lot less than we do. There’s been seasons where I’ve experienced heavy bugling on opening day, seasons where it didn’t start happening until the very last week, and seasons (like last year) where I hardly heard any bugling at all throughout the season. I believe that weather and hunting pressure play the primary roles. All that being said, the peak of the rut seems to coincide with the fall equinox so if I only had a week to hunt, I would plan it around that.

A more pertinent question is when will the rut be in full swing, which depends on the length of daylight, not moon. Local conditions vary but I would be looking close the the equinox, Sept. 21. Not sure where you are hunting.
Likewise with weather. Suit up and show up. Be prepared for whatever the weather brings.

I’ve heard that when the bulls are really vocal that they’re actually harder to call into bow range due to having cows with them..that reminds of turkey hunting. So I’m unsure what the best time of season to call bulls in is. I’ve heard early in September they’re not as vocal but can be called in a little easier due to not having a herd of cows..I guess what I’m asking..do you all prefer archery elk hunting from first-mid September or the last half of September??

If there were hard and fast rules to elk hunting success rates would be way higher. I’ve had bulls absolutely losing their minds on August 31st before and I’ve also went an entire September without hearing a bugle. What I do know is my chances of killing one are way higher when I’m out hunting vs when I’m at home wondering if things are “right” to be out hunting

I guess I should say this..I’m going to go regardless but I can’t go the entire month..

I’m going for 10 days..just unsure which part of the month

Last edited:
Another vote here for paying little or no attention to the moon. Warm weather shuts the bugling down more than a full moon in my experience but I guarantee there are guys on here that have called in plenty during the hot weather. Just go for the days that suit your schedule best. I base my hunt timing more on the amount of hunting pressure the elk have seen over anything else.

Im a Pa guy and Have 6 elk hunts under my belt have been their early and later in sept
due to the long distance I try to schedule about the 3 rd and 4 week of the month we go for 10 days and it seems like we have always had some real good days when they were talking with doing that

I do think you'll find more NR in the field mid to late Sept, we hunted early last fall and had elk bugling but not coming in very hot and heavy. Later in Sept more camps appeared and pressure increased, the elk got quieter.
We've found the elk will bugle and be active at night during a full moon, just listen from camp and move on them in the morning.

I just googled a moon calendar. In 2018 I killed a bull the day before the full moon and did not knowingly hear that bull bugle. But there was bugling all through the night before and even during the whole day there was a bull bugling all day across the canyon when packing mine out. In 2019 the best bugling day we had was two days before the new moon. Both times were in late Sept. But I know people who had better luck in early Sept in 2019, our group did not kill an elk even with the good bugling. I have done late Sept the last two years and I plan on doing late Sept again for 2020, part of it is due to work schedule. But I do want to go for a long weekend in early Sept to see if things are different.

So I think the best plan is to just get out and hunt.

Agree with people saying the moon phase doesn't matter too much. Couldn't make it out with my buddies for the optimal moon phase this year. Rut was very slow for them. I went 2 weeks later at arguably the worst moon phase. Rut was in full swing.

I have noticed some differences in elk activity during a full moon vs a dark moon, but not in a bad way. Weather has a lot more to do with how good the hunting is in my opinion, and you can't control that. Throw the dart somewhere in mid to late September and go for it. Can even be real good early. Or it can suck... Haha

In my experience the full moon has seemed to decrease activity in the morning but increase activity and elk visibility in the evenings. Has anyone else noticed this?

As others have said, moon phase it the last on your concerns. Weather and hunting pressure which are harder to predict will have a much greater impact. Get in the woods and hunt the dates you can. I've killed some great bulls during full moon phases.

Looks like this year they’re be a full moon on the first day of September and the last day of September..

Hunting in earlier September has more potential to be affected by wildfire activity than late September. That would be my biggest concern, other than bringing enough beer for the hotter days.

Back