2020 September Moon Phase Elk Rut

Not sure how much it effects the hunting much but, one things for sure. There isn't nothing like it laying out on a ridge under the stars and moon with bulls screaming all around you for what seems like hours. Probably a unmatched experience IMO good luck!

What about rutting/bugling activity in Montana vs southern Colorado, Arizona or New Mexico? Being from the East I’m going off whitetail rut experience..I live in TN at the whitetail rut can be early-late November..usually mid-late nov is the norm. However, in south Alabama it’s in January..when I was in Wisconsin last year whitetail were rutting 1st week of November...for elk is there a big difference from montana/WY elk rut timing compared to AZ & NM??

Rut is timed based on ideal birth dates for calves, and fawns for that matter. Most of the intermountain west has similar melt times for snow, so for those areas, rut is still around the same time, it could be a little later or earlier, but nothing like the wild swings in whitetails across their range.

Rut is timed based on ideal birth dates for calves, and fawns for that matter. Most of the intermountain west has similar melt times for snow, so for those areas, rut is still around the same time, it could be a little later or earlier, but nothing like the wild swings in whitetails across their range.
Thanks for the info..That makes total sense now

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back