MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2020 Colorado Deer and Elk Non Resident Apps Poll

Are you in for a 1st choice tag or just points this year?

• Tag

Votes: 113 52.8%
  • Points. Was going to do points only regardless of the effects of Covid19

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Points only due to Covid19 and the uncertainty of next fall.

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters
Then, make it more complex by adding in the folks that put in for tags they know they will never draw as 1st choice :) - which ends up being the same as using the point code (not including Hybrid tags). In a vacuum, I would have said the numbers of people doing this would be statistically insignificant, but I am honestly surprised by how many I have heard of doing this both directly or via social media. Just in my own little 'circle' - there are like 5 guys that put in for non-hybrid high point tags as 1st choice because 'you never know'. The intention (get a point) and the result (got a point) are the same as E-P-999-99-P, but the mechanism is different.
A solid point that, despite all the talk about some people swinging for the fences this year, never crossed my mind. Heck, I may have even done it with one species. I'm still not convinced that we won't see a reduction in "meaningful" applications in the draw. Which still won't do anything for my diminished desert sheep odds. :cry:

They provided a little more info about PP applicantsView attachment 136482

If these numbers are true and I’m looking at this right, there are FEWER preference point buyers and 23,206 MORE applicants who picked an elk hunt code as their first choice compared to last year. Not what I expected at all!
I don’t understand the breakdown of this? But I’m sure I’m not understanding it correctly?

I don’t understand the breakdown of this? But I’m sure I’m not understanding it correctly?

2019 Elk Applications: 203,204 with 83,582 selected Pref points as their first choice
2020 Elk Applications (based on my interpretations of the posted screen shots) : 213,230 with 70,142 "applied for preference points only."

2019: 203,204 - 83,582 = 119,622 people who applied for a tag as their first choice.
2020: 213,230 - 70,142 = 143,088 people who applied for a tag as their first choice.

Based on the feedback in this thread it is likely i'm not comparing apples to apples here but I doubt I'll dig into it any further.

FWIW, there was an article in the CS Gazette in the last couple of days that compared total apps year over year like post #41 above. But the 2019 number of apps listed in that article was 609,366 (2.4% increase) rather than the 584,828 (6.7% increase) from the FB post.

Seems like a big jump in applications. I'm trying not to think about it, but now i have to decide if i stick to my preferred elk unit for next year knowing that the point creep this year was one and i also have another point. Will probably assume point creep is 1 next year too and look at an easier to draw unit. My issue is that I need to plan out a month of travel & hunting and having tags that I'm very likely to draw makes that planning so much easier.

Once I am retired, I am thinking on hunting plains deer again in 107 but not elk in Colorado. COVID-19 will not stop me. High nonresident license fees will but that is because I am primarily a meat hunter. But I got family and life long friends in that area so I kinda wanna do it again.

Everything about this table surprises me. I really thought the covid crisis would have a pretty big impact on CO applications. I would’ve been surprised to hear apps were flat. This across-the-board increase sorta blows my mind.

I think that was everyone’s thought. Everyone thought this is the year the odds will be in my favor!

Back