2020 Colorado Deer and Elk Non Resident Apps Poll

Are you in for a 1st choice tag or just points this year?

• Tag

Votes: 113 52.8%
  • Points. Was going to do points only regardless of the effects of Covid19

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Points only due to Covid19 and the uncertainty of next fall.

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters
My guess is a lot of people went for higher point tags thinking there would be a drop. So most people that applied taking last years odds into place will be set on the mid teir tags while the higher point tags will show point creep. Just a hunch. Still hoping that I win the lottery this year on a M,S,G tag though

The real question is whether those applicants bought points or chose a tag for 1st choice.
This. If the poll is reflective (conservatively) of all applicants...can we expect a 5+% decrease in actual applicants for tags??

1586461540583.png

Added in 2018 and 2017 for context
Remember in 2018 you didn't have an app fee... and they stopped doing up front payment for licenses.

2019 to 2020 apps for elk up 4.9%
2017-2019 apps for elk up .5%

View attachment 135337

Added in 2018 and 2017 for context
Remember in 2018 you didn't have an app fee... and they stopped doing up front payment for licenses.

2019 to 2020 apps for elk up 4.9%
2017-2019 apps for elk up .5%

That basically free point for sheep, moose, goat & pronghorn in 2018 I would say paid off in the long run for the State. Sucks for the applicants though, as the odds got a little longer. I am one that bought in for the 2018 season but backed out after that. Just doing deer & elk in Co.

It will be interesting to see the live apps vs. pp this year.

What happened in 2018?
You used to have to pay up front for all tags and get a refund... eg if you applied MSG as a NR you had to write a check for $4000+. The got rid of that in 2018, they also dropped app fees, and pre point fees.

In 2019 you had to buy a small game license, and they charged you for a pref point.

Roughly, I may have been off a bit on the pref points... anyway lots of changes to how the draw was run.

applied CO elk and deer. Wyo deer, west river S.D. deer, maybe S.D. antelope, hell ya i'm going huntin.

does that screen shot differentiate points applications from hunt applications? i guess not that it matters in the long run for point creep

I didn't even bother to buy a deer point this year. With all these states moving the goalpost(s) and jacking up fees every year, I'll just use what I have next year on whatever tag my 10 points will get me and move on to cheap OTC opportunities.

I cashed in 13 deer points on a third season hunt I should easily draw. I already had put in for vacation then and I will still have a job this fall. Baring misfortune, I’ll get to hunt.

Back