2019 WY elk take 2

BuzzH

This past winter I decided to refinish my old 6mm Remington. I had a new pacnor barrel put on and did all the refinish work on it myself. Applied 25-30 coats of finish and thought it came out pretty well. This was my first big-game rifle that my Dad and Grandfather bought for me new in 1979.

The rifle all reworked in original chambering 6mm remington:

IMG952343.jpg

Worked up a load with it for the 95 grain ballistic tip with 45 grains of IMR4831 which is an old recipe I used for it originally.

Went out last night with my Dad, Brother, and 2 nephews left here about 3 PM or so. Found a herd of elk with 8 bulls and 2 cows, no calves so decided to put a stalk on them. My brother Matt and I made a text book stalk and got to 134 yards. I eased up, laid prone across my pack and sent a 95 grain ballistic tip on its way. Solid thump and the cow just about fell on the spot, but wheeled and ran about 25 yards or so and went down. Shot it just behind the near shoulder, exited at the point of the off -shoulder breaking 3 ribs on the way through. Glad to have the 6mm back up and running.

IMG952460.jpg

Family picture:

Resized952019081695194001952872.jpg

Super nice that she obliged and fell on a two track. Easiest "pack-out" so far this season posted on HuntTalk I imagine.

Congratulations

Buzz, I notice you’ve been using BT bullets on elk. They have a reputation for breaking up, but I think they’re made tougher now than the original BTs. I use them on deer and antelope. How much have you used them on elk?

Congrats on a great start.

Awesome stuff. You going to use the new/old gun on your sheep hunt too? That would be really cool.

And we all think we need a large caliber to take anything walking. I am convinced it's nothing but a Peter measuring contest now.
I suspect you reworked this rifle for your sheep hunt you anticipated drawing this fall.

That’s super cool. Congrats on the new/old rifle and your 70th??? elk! Buzz, are these WY public land elk? I really need to find a way to hunt in Aug! Looks fun and I’m thinking my young boys would enjoy this, as well!!!

Last edited:
Good to know that the old gal still kills stuff after her makeover! Almost forgot that standard wood and bluing still works. Congrats on the family affair.

Back