Caribou Gear

2019 Montana Elk Day-by-Day

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This series just released on YouTube this week. I had planned to hunt a high country area, but the snow made it impossible for getting all our camp and production gear there on the back of llamas. I thought I had asked for an alternative area on my film permit, as it was another area I was familiar with. I had failed to do that this season, so that option was off the table. The next idea was to call the Forest on which I have pretty much a blanket permit that only requires a phone call with a follow up email that contains a map of our proposed locations.

Marcus and I narrowed it down to some places, knowing all would have a ton of pressure, given it was general rifle season in Montana. When he said, "This location will have more options for us to spread out and experiment," that is the option I went with. The Forest Service guy had us the OK by that afternoon. And, since we always blame the camera guy, he was now on the hook, in spite of his plea that, "I've never hunted there, so don't take my word for it." I had never hunted there either, but since I sign the front of the checks and he signs the back of the checks, we joked that the responsibility, or possible credit, was all on his shoulders.

Day 1 - Beau is such a great guy, it made me very happy to see him take this bull.

Day 3 - Retrieving Matt's elk turned out to be a bit more of an adventure than expected. Matt and Marcus offered that if I tagged along for that extraction we might find more bulls. Given I would get to spend the day with the llamas, Matt, Marcus, Beau, and Adam, it seemed like a heck of an offer, even as a ten-mile round trip. So, I was the only one carrying a rifle and when seeing the amount of wolf tracks, I was more focused on that possibility. We did hear a wolf howling, but in the wind it was so faint that we couldn't get audio. And within a short time, we got distracted by elk and that allowed the wolf safe passage without pursuit.

@Big Fin I noticed your bino harness appears to be magnetic closure and isn't branded. I'm assuming you're trying out a prototype. Care to drop any hints?

@Big Fin I noticed your bino harness appears to be magnetic closure and isn't branded. I'm assuming you're trying out a prototype. Care to drop any hints?

It was one that Sitka sent with Adam Foss who was doing some "in the field" photos for them while on this hunt. I'm always surprised by the number people who notice small changes in my gear. People will see me wearing the FHFGear model in hunts following this one.

Nice job with this elk hunting video. Randy, you should not be surprised by people commenting on any changes in your gear. With your success in the field you are under the microscope ! Lol

It's always fun to follow you and the crew !
Congrads from North Western Mt. !!
I spotted the bino hauler too . I'm in the need for a new set up .

MT.PERCHMAN

Why no visible bear spray on anybody, especially in that area?

Signed, A Swede not to fond of ursus arctos horribilis.

Time of year, cold and snow conditions, specific locations, traveling as a loud mob of humans, all make the risk very low of encountering Mr/Mrs Horribilis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back