2018 Pack goat Elk/Deer

Duck-Slayer

Started my yearly "long" walks with the goats the other day, about 3 miles, while I was out it occurred to me that I should do a full journal/thread this year. I also went to the grocery store "walmart" to get some "my own" backpack food. I have been doing the Mountain House deal the last couple of years and need some change since I will be in the elk/deer woods for 2 1/2 weeks straight this fall between my cousin Tyler and Mark from wisconsin the guy I met at the trailhead last year that I hunted with. I must have made a good impression since he is coming back, not sure how I did that LOL.... Back to the food deal. I got some prepackaged already cooked food and they needed to be fast. I ended up with 2 different flavors of canned chicken, some precooked rice, some easily rehydrated pasta, spam singles, bean singles, cliff bars, pop tarts for breakfast and oatmeal. I'm going to start packing with them those 3 miles today and continue with this regimen till I leave in September. I'll try too keep a good record and a day by day post. Here are a few pictures of the food I purchased. I put them into individual gallon ziploc bags for each day.
Matt

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

I look forward to following along, Matt. My food choices look a lot like yours. I don't do Mountain House anymore either. There are too many cheaper and better tasting options out there.

Look forward to following along! Thanks for making time to account for your goat packed treks this year and best of success with this year's hunts.

My trek from this afternoon, didn’t dig the packs out. Decided to take a “new be” goat out. The middle one is Danner, he’s a up and comer that is 17 months. He will be packing next year. My lead goat is Buck and the trailing goat is Prince” my daughters goat “ lol.
Matt

2BF39BF2-2296-4B87-82E5-B8ED0F649A4C.jpg

1E719FD8-D2DE-433C-A166-3AD7D2FF06B9.jpg

Did some cooking this afternoon, sausage, bacon, egg, cheese burritos. They are great while backpacking! Only can do 3 or so on a trip, they melt/unfreeze. Usually eat them day 2,3,4. Wrap them in your sleeping bag or extra clothing on the way in and while your at camp. Don’t do this in grizzly country thou....
Matt

A9E23B07-CD54-4AF3-8E06-7A4A2F5028B7.jpg

Started my yearly "long" walks with the goats the other day, about 3 miles, while I was out it occurred to me that I should do a full journal/thread this year. I also went to the grocery store "walmart" to get some "my own" backpack food. I have been doing the Mountain House deal the last couple of years and need some change since I will be in the elk/deer woods for 2 1/2 weeks straight this fall between my cousin Tyler and Mark from wisconsin the guy I met at the trailhead last year that I hunted with. I must have made a good impression since he is coming back, not sure how I did that LOL.... Back to the food deal. I got some prepackaged already cooked food and they needed to be fast. I ended up with 2 different flavors of canned chicken, some precooked rice, some easily rehydrated pasta, spam singles, bean singles, cliff bars, pop tarts for breakfast and oatmeal. I'm going to start packing with them those 3 miles today and continue with this regimen till I leave in September. I'll try too keep a good record and a day by day post. Here are a few pictures of the food I purchased. I put them into individual gallon ziploc bags for each day.
Matt

View attachment 85914

View attachment 85915

Dad gum good thing those taters say Idaho on them (we use those also).

Spent the afternoon getting my gear packed, that way I can start training with my goats with full camp on them. The gear I put on my lead goat buck will be 33lbs, the next goat will be Bill and he is going to carry 31lbs. They may each get a few more pounds since my chair and spotting scope was not included in that weight. Now I have 2 more goats that are coming with to pack in beer/my cousin Tyler's gear, which he said weighs 40lbs. Should be a good year. I get to spend 15 days Archery elk hunting in the rut with my cousin and a great friend Mark from Wisconsin.
Matt

My Gear:
IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

My new tent, the Nemo Dark Timber tent that I got this spring, can't wait for all that extra room and my final pack job in the panniers ready to roll.
IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

My trek from this afternoon, didn’t dig the packs out. Decided to take a “new be” goat out. The middle one is Danner, he’s a up and comer that is 17 months. He will be packing next year. My lead goat is Buck and the trailing goat is Prince” my daughters goat “ lol.
Matt

View attachment 85917

Do you always keep them on a lead? I thought that was one of the advantages to the goats was that you didn't need to have them on a lead. Was it just because you had the new goat in the mix?

This sure sounds more appealing to me than Llamas. Interesting research on whether they can transmit disease to wild sheep as well.

Where did you get the idea to use goats as pack mules?

I started researching back in 2007 about using animals to pack with and this is what I ended up deciding on in 2012 I believe. I got my first goats that year, I got Nigerian Dwarf goats for my kids for 4H, for a trial run. The next year I bought 3 big Alpine/Oberhosli goats.
Matt

Do you always keep them on a lead? I thought that was one of the advantages to the goats was that you didn't need to have them on a lead. Was it just because you had the new goat in the mix?

This sure sounds more appealing to me than Llamas. Interesting research on whether they can transmit disease to wild sheep as well.

1) I keep them on a lead while i'm walking them on a busy road/agricultural area around my house. I do always have a lead on them so when I get on a deer or elk, I can quickly tie them to a tree. I do not use the lead while walking around the mountains where they can do whatever while they follow me around.

2) I posted in the FireSide forum about the research on transmitting disease to wild sheep.......
Matt

E702DD1B-D7CC-4485-87A6-2C109472CD41.jpg

Been busy deer hunting, got an early dessert tag. Got some granola from Costco and made a 8 bags to take with. I have been walking the goats twice a week about 3 Miles. Have 9 days till my elk pack trip.
Matt

A bit of an update: yesterday I took all 5, 2+year old goats out. Took 3 on the first walk which is about 3 Miles. Got back and took the other 2 out for the same 3 mile loop. Good exercise for both the goats and myself.

Than today: the first thing I did w them is I trimmed all 8 goats hooves. 7 pack and 1 Nigerian dwarf. Next up is I had to get a semi close weight on each goat. I used one of the scales I have to weigh barrels of carp and put a small piece of plywood over the top and zeroed it.

I am packing with 4 this season
Bill - 4 y/o Alpine - 170lbs
Buck - 4 y/o Alpine/Oberhosli - 225lbs
Prince - 3 y/o Alpine/Oberhosli - 190lbs
Spook - 26 month Saanen/Togenberg - 207lbs

My other goats are as follows
Danner - 2 y/o Alpine/Oberhosli - 179lbs
Faith - 5 month Saanen/Boer - 46lbs
Tim - 5 month Saanen/Boer - 53lbs

Here are the weights they carry using the 30% rule:
Bill - 51lbs
Buck - 67lbs
Prince - 57lbs
Spook - 62lbs

These are max weights going in or back to trailhead. I normally pack 20lbs on one of them, they take turns carrying my daily gear. You do not want to pack them at max weight for an extended period of time, about 3-4 hours. My total weight that my goats can carry is 237lbs at a time. So pretty much 1 boned out mature 6 point bull!
Matt

Last edited:
Had the goats out loaded with 34lbs each, took 2 for the 3 Miles and came back and switched out with the other 2. Here is a pic from the 2nd group, Bill and Prince.
Matt

190FB5FD-15D5-4C91-BC7F-6CEB36C3D468.jpg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back