2016 Colorado Elk Hunt: sharing the bounty

Hummer

I just returned from hunting elk and bear in the White River National Forest just outside the Flat Tops Wilderness--31 years in the same area. The country I hunt ranges from about 8700' to 10,200' elevation and is mostly dense spruce-fir forest interspersed with aspen groves and smaller grassy parks and meadows. With the very warm, dry conditions the aspen areas were too noisy for stealthy hunting. So, I climbed over the mountain to hunt down through the spruce-fir. I love still hunting the dark timber, maneuvering over and around the downed trees, padding quietly on the soft damp duff, the scent of elk hanging in the air. I got lucky on opening day, connecting with a cow elk in a bedding area at 27 yards, a single quick shot offhand. Yea! Another year of fine meat for the family. My 28th elk.

After field dressing and laying the parts over a log to cool overnight, I returned the next day to pack out the meat. Soon after, a pine marten arrived to share in the bounty, hauling scraps to cache in logs, under ground and high in the trees, safe from other ground predators.

Pine martens are cool critters, one of my favorite mammals. I've seen them many times. Like a miniature wolverine or a supersized long-tailed weasel, pine martens are ferocious predators able to chase down squirrels in the trees. They are also smart, opportunistic scavengers. Ten years ago I watched a pair feed off the remains of a buck mule deer I had shot (story here). In 2011, I watched a pine marten cache a snowshoe hare up in a tree. And, martens have sneaked in to steal trout from me while fishing the high country on a few occasions.

I had a heck of a time getting photos in the dark forest because these guys are always moving. But, I still had tags for bull elk and bear, so I returned to the kill site four days later in hope of getting more views of the pine marten or maybe finding a bear on the gut pile. No evidence of bear but I was surprised to find two pine martens working the carcass. Apparently the male didn't appreciate sharing with a smaller female and they fought twice while I was there, growling and woofing repeatedly over two hours. It was an amazing scene.

They are tenacious and strong; I watched as one dragged the front portion of the elk rib cage down the hill about 60 feet. It was several times the size and weight of the marten, kind of like me trying to drag a whole elk.

I returned again the following day--didn't see the martens but found the gut pile had been turned over and moved four feet, presumably to access the fat. The elk head was missing--no tracks besides the martens and birds were present. Can't be sure but I think a marten hauled the head off.

After taking the cow I hunted six more days, hoping to connect with a bull or a bear. That didn't happen this time. With the warm temperatures it seems there were few elk in the area where snow is required to move the larger herds out of the high country. Most reports are that the first and second season harvest has been poor this year. But it was a fun and productive hunt, one I'll always remember for sharing with the pine martens.

Anyone else have similar experiences with pine martens?

I have never seen a pine marten. That was cool. Impressive. Thank you. Any elk is impressive, but I like the small critter.

Nice job as usual, Hummer. I can count on one hand the number of marten I have seen. Nice bonus.

I hunt the Flattops during 1st season and for the last 5 or 6 years I've had pine martens actually tear through my game bags on hanging meat and eat softball size pieces out. Tons of them in there.

My wife and I saw out first Pine Marten up in Idaho this summer. She was crazy about the little bugger! Cool critters. Good job on the cow! Looks to be a pretty large one for a Rocky.

Thanks to all for the kind replies and for your own experiences with martens. My annual elk hunt is as much about watching birds and other animals as it is about the pursuit of elk. A week long dawn to dusk immersion in nature in the high country. It's fun to note the differences from year to year--the growth of the turkey population, the presence of more Evening Grosbeaks and Pine Grosbeaks this year, the drop in Dusky Grouse numbers (only encountered one as opposed to 20-40 in most years). And, this year I found late Hermit Thrushes and Audubon's Warblers which are usually chased out earlier by October snowstorms. This time I heard only one Pygmy Owl when in other years I might find and call in several over the season. And this year I didn't detect any flocks of migrating Sandhill Cranes--even though they're still passing through the Grand Valley.

Like with weasels, pine martens can be called in by "pishing", squeaky bird or mouse sounds. I've called in martens from as far as 200 yards and had them stand and lean on my leg looking for the source of the call. I've never had one behave aggressively other than trying to steal foods. This time I watched and photographed from 6-20 feet and the martens were more wary of each other and of other sounds in the forest than with me. What fun! I happily share the bounty.

I love still hunting the dark timber, maneuvering over and around the downed trees, padding quietly on the soft damp duff, the scent of elk hanging in the air.

Nailed it. ^

Pine Martin are great little killers. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back