2015 elk

oleefish2

This is my 2015 5x5 elk. Like last year I went up and spent the night before in my little hide way. The wind started at 9:00 pm was none stop and till about 11:00 am. I watched some elk at first light but without horses or younger back, mine is (64) they were out of my place to kill one. I had seen only one other hunter and about 9:30 am I decide to take walk and look in another opening. I had made it about 200 yards when 2 shots rang out. I had walked back about 100 yards when across the valley from me I see 2 elk trotting in my direction. I am in the wide open and no place to hide. At about 500 yards they go behind some trees. I worked my way to a rock and set up on it. When they came back out on top of the saddle in front of me I took a range of 348 yards. The bull a 5x5 had stopped and I settled the cross hair in his chest and let it go. He went down and I was done. The 7mm mag with 139 hornady 67.2 G imr4831 did its job..

Nice bull, I'd say you better keep that little hideaway spot top secret. I bet it was still a chore to get him out by yourself. Congrats!

Very nice bull, congratulations! I hope to find one like him in the next week or two. Us old guys may do it slower but we know how to get the job done.

Very nice bull, congratulations! I hope to find one like him in the next week or two. Us old guys may do it slower but we know how to get the job done.
Yep I can walk fine but my 3 back surgeries slows the process down. I am very picky were I kill an animal and have a great portable winch system that does most the heavy work. I hunt private ground and the rancher lets me take my atv to the kill sight. I also have over 500 feet of strong rope.

Yes having access to private land is hard to come by in this area. Most is leased to or outfitted by the owners. There are some 350+ class bulls but my deal is for me only and so I take what works best for me. The land owner is one of the true old style ranchers and very nice. But he has been decreasing who he lets hunt the last few years and I do not to loose my spot.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back