Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2014 Wyoming bull

BuzzH

Well, I guess maybe the season is shaping up a bit.;)

I tried to head out elk hunting yesterday after 2 days of snow and cold. Went out to start the truck and every light on it was flashing. Took it into the shop and found out a couple sensors were bad. Got it fixed and decided to try again this morning.

I took off and by the time I reached my hunting area the temperature was -26 according the thermometer in the truck.

I found a small six point with one antler about half busted off right away. He was about 1 mile away and kept looking up the draw that was running parallel to him. I figured I'd check back and took off and glassed some other spots where I'd seen elk in the past. I didn't see anymore, so decided to go back and check on the first bull I saw and see if he had any buddies with him. I get back there, and sure enough, 4 bulls had fed up out of the draw. I immediately recognized the biggest bull as one I'd found while antelope hunting a couple weeks prior. I had some video of him and watched it a couple times trying to decide if he was good enough. I'd never seen him with any other bulls until today and when I did, I knew right off that he was much larger bodied than the 3 other bulls he was with, and also a bit better than I initially thought.

I decided if I could get close enough, I would shoot him. I took off, with the temperature now dropping to -27. After about a 45 minute hike, I gained enough elevation to see all 4 bulls, and ranged them at 311 yards. I had perfect wind and knew I could close that gap. I dropped back down and crawled up to 184 yards, and found the biggest bull bedded. I looked him over and noticed that he had a bent antler that came out right in the middle of his forehead. He had tons of character, as well as being an old mature bull. I grabbed my rifle and rested it over my pack, all 4 bulls completely unaware of any danger. I looked at him for 2-3 minutes through my scope and he was bedded looking straight ahead. Finally, he looked my direction. I took a few more seconds to burn the image of that bull bedded in the sun, then placed the leupold dot on his shoulder and pressed the trigger. He rolled over in his bed at the crack of the rifle.

I sat there for a few minutes while the other bulls slowly made their way around the corner and out of sight.

I walked up to the bull and he truly is a great old bull...I couldn't ask for a more unique bull or a better day of hunting.

To top if all off, I was able to drive a 2-track road within 74 yards of him and had him quartered and in the truck by 11:28.

This has to be the "good old days" of elk hunting.

Got mass?

DSC00607.JPG

Me and the bull:

DSC00601.JPG

Another look:

DSC00589.JPG

A couple more pictures:

DSC00619.JPG

DSC00586.JPG

DSC00592.JPG

Cool looking bull, congrats. Killing a big old bull is about the only way I can think of to make those temps seem tolerable

So sorry on how your season is shaping up.(;

Really nice bull.

Good grief... what a giant old bull. About as much character as you can get in that big of an elk.

Congrats Buzz.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back