Caribou Gear

2014 Montana permit apps.

Randy11,

Please forward me any advice you get...

Dear Buzz-

In regards to your inquiry of Montana permit applications-

In my extensive research and experiences, I've come to the conclusion that district 380 for elk and 312 for mule deer are the current top units in the state.

I hope this information serves you well. Good luck in the draws.

-Randy

I wouldn't pay a quarter for either a elkhorns elk or Bridgers deer permit.

Randy,

Thank you for the information, it sounds like good advice. I have forwarded this information to my Secretary who will be filling out my Montana hunting applications.

Someday, I would like to find out if there are any whitetailed deer that live in the mountains of Western Montana. I realize that my drawing odds in the mule deer unit you listed are about 50-50, but I want to cover my options should I not win the coin flip.

I would also like to know a good area for a general elk tag too, since the elk area you mentioned has only 1:4 odds of drawing. The area must contain abundant 330-350 class bulls that are glassable from the seat of my ATV. I would prefer if the areas could be hunted no farther than 1 mile from my ATV as well. I prefer to use the handlebars as a rest since my 30-378 weighs 14.6 pounds. In dry weather I prefer to stick to the road, and not pack the rifle into the woods, since the 6.5-50x80mm scope may start a forest fire if the sun is shining. If there is cloud cover, it shouldnt be an issue and I wouldnt mind a short walk on flat terrain.

I'm not looking for specifics, but GPS coordinates would be greatly appreciated...along with a sandwich. I often get hungry from the miles on the ATV.

Thanks in advance.

Buzz

Hey Randy when you decide which units Buzz should apply for, would you be so kind as to post here and not in a P.M.

I hate all that sneaky crap.;)

Montana Deer Elk Combo Leftover tags

Could anybody enlighten me regarding Montana NR Deer/Elk combo tag numbers. Specifically does anyone know how quickly the leftover tags sold out? I am thinking about taking a gamble and waiting to see how the other draws turn out before purchasing a leftover deer elk combo tag

There were a couple thousand left over at least ,and didn't sell out of deer till hunt started I believe.I think elk sold out a little sooner. Some one on here will know the #'s for sure. You should be ok. But I expect more to buy this year as it seems more are using it as a backup........BOB!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back