Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2014 Brown Bear Adventure

Matt,

Great pictures and sounds like a nice adventure. Those trips North are always special ones, whether or not an animal is taken.

My dream hunt is Alaskan Brown bear with a bow. I wouldn't be shooting very far and that would be the biggest part of the excitement. Congrats on such an eventful hunt. In the end, the memories are the only thing that will go with you on the big journey.

Nice write-up Critter.I can see why you might miss your family on a hunt like that...nothing but white....ugh.After a long winter of working outside in that shit, your hunt in those conditions would be the last thing I would do for fun,nonetheless pay for.I would rather take my chances in the thick leaf covered alders.Good try though,don't give up on the dream.

Nice story and pics and an even better perspective on it that hunting is indeed hunting; even in that country; even with the preparation, which was mighty. I'll bet on you next time as well.

Look at it this way, at least you didn't go up there and miss a ram, which I think some people have done.

Great photos and write-up, as always. Sorry it wasn't the planned for ending, but I'm sure you'll get him next time. I doubt it's much consolation, but I'd rather have a missed shot than a hit and a lost animal, I know from very painful experience.

Awesome pictures and story, Thats a dream Hunt... I keep hoping my journeys take me back to AK "worked up there in 2010" would love to go back

Critter, thanks for sharing your great, heart wrenching adventure. Take solace in the fact that you live in a time and place with the means to undertake such an outing. I know that must be a tough pill to swallow though. I can completely relate to your longing to be with your family. It's commendable that you would forego your opportunity at bagging that elusive bear for the chance to be with the ones you love. It says a lot about your priorities……..in a good way. There are plenty of critters to kill but only one family to love!

I was also thinking about all those hours in a tent. That would drive me crazy. Plus, I couldn't possibly hold a poop for that long. :eek:

Matt,

Thanks for an honest, open hunt report with some incredible photos.

I know it's a tough pill to swallow right now but everyone here knows you're a hell of an accomplished hunter and there is no doubt you'll be experiencing some sweet redemption soon.

And so I'd like to share my Kodiak Island bear hunting story....

I made three trips to the Island and on the first day, first few hours of the first trip, I STUPIDLY passed up a bear in the mid nine foot range.

Two more trips and 36 days of hunting Kodiak later I shot a..........9'1" bear.

Yep, I learned my lesson about passing up something on the first day you'd shoot any other day so I get the dumb-azz of the century award!

Cheers buddy!

Chris

Awesome photos. Tag soup sucks, but that' why it's called hunting.. Can't wait to hear the long version over beers.

Fantastic adventure for sure. I know what you mean about getting homesick. I have to take my bunch about everywhere I go these days or it just isn't as fun. I would not want to be a bear the next time you venture north.

Matt,

Thanks for an honest, open hunt report with some incredible photos.

I know it's a tough pill to swallow right now but everyone here knows you're a hell of an accomplished hunter and there is no doubt you'll be experiencing some sweet redemption soon.

And so I'd like to share my Kodiak Island bear hunting story....

I made three trips to the Island and on the first day, first few hours of the first trip, I STUPIDLY passed up a bear in the mid nine foot range.

Two more trips and 36 days of hunting Kodiak later I shot a..........9'1" bear.

Yep, I learned my lesson about passing up something on the first day you'd shoot any other day so I get the dumb-azz of the century award!

Cheers buddy!

Chris

9'1 would have been history on my hunt:) Without a second look. That is if I would have hit it:)

Awesome hunt! Great pics and great memories I'm sure. We've all missed shots like that before so don't feel too bad. I missed a bighorn ram that I'd glassed for over an hour. I guess the pressure just got to me! :)

Critter - bummer on the bear, but sounds like you had a terrific adventure despite the outcome. Looking back on my trip to AK, half the fun was getting there, taking a super cub andgetting to know some folks in that state.

A few of my buddies have been up to AK for bear, one guy saw 1 bear and shot it despite being smaller than he would have liked, that was on the 8th or 9th day, think it squared 8ft. His brother didn't even see a bear in 12 days of hunting and wound up going with the same outfitter the next year and shot one on the second day...

Not always easy, but you have accomplished more than most dream and I have no doubt that there is a bear out there with your name on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back