Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2012 - New Mexico Elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to be out of the loop for the last week or so, but duty calls. OYOA was in a part of Gila National Forest that was void of any connection, and for that I am grateful for the peace that lack of technology provided.

Usually we start these live hunts with a day by day story, building up to some culmination of an animal getting shot. Well, I will do things a little different this time.

Since I am in the airport on my way home for a MT elk hunt, I will post the results and fill in the details over the next two days. Now people cannot complain that we are leading them on.

Scott, our guest hunter, shot this bull the last morning. It was his first bull and a great one at that. People normally confuse him as being a stand in for Ashton Kutcher, but I am sure he is a far better hunter than any of the guys on Two and Half Men.

IMG_0210.JPG

It was a joy to have Scott join us. Between him and two energetic camera guys, all I did was a gutless "How to" sequence, then sat back well they packed the bull to the trailhead. Feeling slightly guilty, I did carry a camera and one bag of trim meat on my way out.

Gonna be a great episode. Lots of story to this hunt.

Amazing what you can find if you get a couple miles from the roads. Anyone who has hunted 16A, 16C, or 16D, knows how many roads exist on this forest. In some respects, that helps those who will hoof it a few miles. Makes it easier to know where the highest concentration of bulls will be.

Once again, New Mexico treated us well, in spite of the damage to the trailer and a few other bruises to the OYOA gear. Will fill in the complete details later.

Thanks to Scott, Mason, and Brad. They all worked their tails off, trying to solve the public land elk puzzle in this very dry year.

Great bull! He does look like he may have suffered from the drought on the top end. Awesome lower half. One heck of a last day bull.

New Mexico treated us well, in spite of the damage to the trailer and a few other bruises to the OYOA gear.

And that is called a teaser!!! Now I will be glued to Hunt Talk even more than normal!! Damn you Fin!

Just kidding, congratulations on another successful hunt! Shouldn't the star of the show always get to watch the camera crew and guest hunter haul everything out? :D

Nice bull, glad to have you back Randy. I hope the stories have nothing to do with health concerns. Look forward to a good read when you get around to posting it.

Looking forward to hearing about it Randy. Hope you had better luck than I did. Struck out on mulies in Unit 53 last week. Still can't complain about spending a week in God's Country though :D

I haven't been to the Gila since I was about 12 but I do remember how beautiful...and bountiful it was. Looking fwd to the feature. Nice bull.

Well that definitely qualifies as a "Mature Bull"! Congratulations to all. Much better than the last period of silence. Good luck on the next trip.

Way to go OYOA crew! I have been checking Hunttalk every day waiting for this. Hope CO goes as well but the subject will not be as photogenic.

One heck of a nice bull!

Sorry to be out of the loop for the last week or so, but duty calls. OYOA was in a part of Gila National Forest that was void of any connection, and for that I am grateful for the peace that lack of technology provided.

Just to be out hunting and away from a cell phone can be a great blessing. Great looking elk you guys got there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back